Bike Skills Park
Bike skills parks are great places to hone or develop your bike handling skills. They provide a safe, fun environment to ride in and are suitable for all ages, skill levels and all types of bikes. A well designed park allows riders to progress through a variety of features from beginner to advanced levels all within a dynamic self-taught environment.
The future St. Albert Bike Skills Park will provide our youth, families and residents of all ages with an additional free and spontaneous recreational opportunity. The park will serve as a gathering point for our youth and families who enjoy taking part in healthy outdoor activities.
About the Project
The Mountain Bike Skills Park is part of City Council's objective to develop the community, strengthen St. Albert's social fabric and enhance the safety and health of St. Albert's families.
St. Albert City Council approved the location of a Mountain Bike Skills Park at 43R Riel Drive, and authorized construction pending the successful outcome of a natural areas assessment.
City staff along with the Mountain Bike Skills Park Advisory Committee and the St. Albert Bike Association implemented a thorough public engagement process to assist the City in determining a final site location.
- Riel Park has tremendous trail system access and is not in close proximity to residential properties. There is more parking at Riel Park and this site made sense because it was felt to be safer to use for people of all ages.
- From a policing perspective, 43R Riel Drive was felt to be far more suited to police visibility as it is located on established trails which are frequented by police through bike and cart patrols. The RCMP felt they can provide a greater presence in the Riel area.
- Riel Park allows for transit availability.
- Natural Areas Assessment Study - May to June 2014 (construction will be scheduled pending a successful outcome)
- Design - August 2014
- Construction - September to October 2014 (timelines and construction impacts will be determined in July 2014)
- What is a Bike Skills Park?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Photos of Feature Examples
- Explanation of Features
- Bike Skills Park Location Map
Questions or concerns?
If you have any questions about the proposed Bike Skills Park and location, please contact:
City of St. Albert