What is a Recreation Services Master Plan?
The Recreation Services Master Plan is the framework that establishes the City of St. Albert's future recreation needs.
The Recreation Services Master Plan identifies a long term vision, with the outcome of sustaining a healthy and vibrant community.
- It considers and addresses all things "recreation", from casual opportunities such as enjoying the extensive parks and trail system or dog walking, to more scheduled activities like yoga or learn to swim programs.
- It includes information about how services and opportunities are provided, through partnership, private business, or by the city.
- It references infrastructure required to provide services and opportunities.
- It contemplates new creative ways to fund these critical services and amenities.
- It concludes with communication plans to inform, encourage, and engage the community.
Updating the Recreation Services Master Plan
Significant changes have occurred since the previous Recreation Services Master Plan was approved in 1999. To accurately understand residents needs, and changes in industry and user trends, substantial research and feedback from residents and stakeholders is being gathered.
Throughout the process, which began in July 2010, five themes have emerged as areas of focus:
These themes have surfaced after significant feedback from a variety of stakeholders including interviews and forums with over 60 community groups, a resident survey and open house, as well as examining research, trends and promising practices. The process was guided by a working committee of St. Albert residents.
- Ensure community health and well being
- Bolster community development
- Invest in recreation infrastructure
- Seek out new and innovative funding sources
- Celebrate and communicate recreation
For more information:
Monique St. Louis
Director, Recreation Services
City of St. Albert
Recreation Services Master Plan
To view or download the Recreation Services Master Plan (PDF), click here.
Recreation Services Master Plan FAQ