Basement Suite Development
On May 22, 2007, City Council passed amendments to the Land Use Bylaw to enable the development of basement suites within single detached dwellings in the City. This change not only allows for previously unauthorized basement suites to be approved, but also new basement suites in either an existing home or as part of new house construction. The following applies to basement suite development in the City:
- One basement suite is allowed within the basement level of a single detached house. Suites within duplexes or townhouses, above garages or on upper levels of a home are not permitted.
- Basement suites shall be accessory (i.e. incidental/secondary) to the principal dwelling unit.
- A maximum of 3 bedrooms is allowed within a basement suite.
- Basement suites must have a minimum floor area of 30 square metres (323 square feet).
- A separate entry for the basement suite, either from a common landing or from the exterior, is required. If the entry is from the exterior, it shall be located on the side or rear of the principal dwelling unit.
- Parking required: 1 on-site parking stall is required for a basement suite unless it is a 3-bedroom suite, in which case 2 parking stalls are required (note: 2 parking stalls are required for a single detached house; required parking for basement suites is in addition to these 2 stalls).
A development permit (and a building permit) must be obtained prior to construction of a new basement suite or for the approval of an existing suite.
To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure that your application is clear, legible and accurate. If any part of your application is missing, unreadable or inaccurate, your application will be deemed incomplete, and a decision will not be rendered.
In your application, you need to include the following:
- Complete application form
Existing Basement Suite or renovation/occupancy of an existing suite = $487.92
- Development permit - $204.00
- Building permit - $273.00
- Safety Codes fee - $10.92
(fees are additional to current fees for new home construction):
- Development permit - $204.00
- Building permit - $96.00
- Two (2) copies of the following:
Site Plan showing the following:
a) The entire lot;
b) Property lines with dimensions;
c) Location of the house on the lot;
d) Identification and dimensions of setbacks from the property lines;
e) Location and dimensions of all parking spaces on the lot. Identify the location of the basement suite parking space(s).
Floor Plan of the suite showing the following:
a) The floor areas of the basement and main dwelling;
b) The types and sizes of the bedroom windows;
c) Locations of electrically connected smoke alarms;
d) The exit door(s) and required bedroom exit window(s);
e) Wall and ceiling construction materials and details;
f) Locations of all rooms within the basement;
g) Additional information may be requested upon review.
A building elevation (or existing photograph) of the house, accurately drawn to scale and clearly indicating where the entrance to the basement suite will be located.
* Please note that these rates may change without notice.
Related Information - Permits
Related Information - Basement Suites
- Basement Suite Regulations
- Information on Applying for a Basement Suite (brochure)
- Tenant Declaration Form
- Grant Application Form
- Basement Suite Grant Agreement
|Files linked from this page may require Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing.|
Last edited: January 16, 2019