Building a Fence

You will need to obtain a development permit if your property is on a corner lot. Other lots are subject to fence height limitations.

If you're planning to build a fence, there's information you need to know. The City of St. Albert Land Use Bylaw regulates the height of fences on residential properties. A fence on residential property can be as high as 2.0 metres, provided the fence is not located in your front yard, in which case it cannot exceed 1.0 m in height. Your fence cannot be located on City property, so it's a good idea to find out in advance where your property lines are located. Also, be sure to have the utilities on your property marked.

If you do not live on a corner lot and meet the above requirements, then you do not have to obtain a development permit to build your fence. However, if your property is on a corner lot, you need to obtain a development permit to ensure the fence does not block or impede traffic site lines. If it is blocking or impeding visibility, you will be required to move the fence to accommodate proper visibility.

Application Checklist

To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure that your application is clear, legible and accurate. If any part of your application is missing, unreadable or inaccurate, your application will be deemed incomplete, and a decision will not be rendered.

Your application must include

  1. Complete application form
  2. Payment of required application fee, as per Master Rates Bylaw Schedule "E"
  3. Two (2) copies of site plans in metric (minimum scale 1:100) showing:
    1. Proposed location of the fence with heights included;
    2. Address and legal description;
    3. Easements;
    4. Utility rights-of-way including poles, transformer boxes, lamp standards and hydrants.
    5. Location of dwelling with the proposed fence outlined;
    6. Outline of any accessory buildings over 10 sq. metres in size (detached garages or garden sheds) complete with dimensions;
    7. Location and height of existing and proposed retaining walls and/or fence. (Fence height means the vertical distance measured at right angles from the highest point of a fence or attached lattice material to the finished grade directly below.)

The development authority may require additional material necessary to properly evaluate the proposed development (stated in Section 3.3 of the City of St. Albert Land Use Bylaw 9/2005). In most cases, an application is deemed complete if the material outlined is provided.

Planning Applications & Forms

Related Pages

Last edited: November 28, 2019