Garden Suite Development

The City of St. Albert regulates Garden Suites in residential areas, as per Land Use Bylaw 9/2005, Section 8.13, "Dwelling, Garden Suite". Property owners who wish to build a Garden Suite are required to obtain a development permit. Only one Garden Suite is permitted on a lot with a single-detached house, and it must be located in a rear or side yard.

A Garden Suite is accessory to the principal single-detached house and contains cooking, washroom, living, and sleeping facilities, which are separate from those of the principal dwelling on the site.


Applying for a Garden Suite Guide

Planning Applications & Forms

Related Pages

Last edited: November 28, 2019