Building a Home
Both development and building permits are required for the construction of new houses. A development permit is an authorization from the Planning and Development Department that your home construction conforms with the land use bylaw. Following approval for your development, your construction plans will be forwarded to Building Inspection Services in preparation for a building permit.
To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure that your application is clear, legible and accurate. If any part of your application is missing, unreadable or inaccurate, your application will be deemed incomplete, and a decision will not be rendered.
Your application must include
- Complete application form
- Fees — $565.00, including:
- Development permit
- Building permit deposit
- Two (2) copies of a site plan (surveyors plot plan) in metric with grade elevations
- Two (2) copies of floor plans/elevation plans in metric section drawing(s)
- Basement plan
- Any other information deemed appropriate by staff in accordance with Section 3.3 of the City of St. Albert Land Use Bylaw 9/2005
Please be advised that the development authority may require additional material considered necessary to properly evaluate the proposed development (as stated in Section 3.3 of the City of St. Albert Land Use Bylaw 9/2005). In most cases, an application is deemed complete if the material outlined above is provided.
Last edited: November 28, 2019