On-Street Construction Permits

For activity within a road right-of-way

An On-Street Construction Permit (OSCP) is required for construction activity on City of St. Albert property or within the road right-of-way. If you are working on private property but need to haul material or equipment over the city boulevard or close down a lane of traffic to unload equipment, an OSCP is required. An OSCP is required for any activity upon City of St. Albert property that detours or disrupts vehicle or pedestrian movements. If you are unsure if you require an OSCP, please contact Engineering Services at oscpadmin@stalbert.ca or 780-459-1654.

The City does not issue On-Street Construction Permits for placing refuse bins on City roadways under any circumstance. For questions regarding the placement of refuse bins on privately owned property, please contact Planning & Development at 780-459-1642.


Temporary Traffic Control Guidelines

Typical Temporary Traffic Control Plans

OSCP Penalties

Allowable Work Hours

Permitted working hours within City limits, in accordance with the City of St. Albert Noise Bylaw 31/2006, are the following:

Monday to Friday7:00 am to 10:00 pm
Saturday9:00 am to 11:00 pm
Sundays and Holidays9:00 am to 10:00 pm

How do I obtain an OSCP?

The general process is as follows:

  1. The OSCP process begins by completing the OSCP Application.
  1. There is no cost or fee for the OSCP.
  2. Please submit the OSCP application a minimum of five (5) business days, prior to starting work.
  3. All OSCP applications must be supported with the submission of a Traffic Accommodation Plan (TAP).
  4. By checking the check box and submitting the application form, the applicant confirms that all conditions/clauses within the approved On Street Construction Permit (OSCP) will be agreed upon and adhered to.
  5. An approved copy of the OSCP is to be kept at the job site during the construction.
    • Municipal Enforcement officers can request to see the approved OSCP.
    • Failure to produce this approved document may result in fines.

What is a Traffic Accommodation Plan (TAP)?

A traffic accommodation plan (TAP) is a diagram or sketch that shows the traffic control devices and signage to be used to complete the lane closure, detour or closure of a sidewalk or asphalt trail. Please indicate the type of signs, placement and distance between signs, and location of barricades, cones, fencing, etc. Show the work zone and the adjacent streets or intersections and multiple lanes if applicable (include a North Arrow).

Drawings of the traffic control setup can be completed using different software applications, or for simple closures, a hand-drawn sketch is sufficient.

Sample Drawings

Difference between an OSCP and ACP?

The OSCP deals with work on City property or within the road right-of-way, whereas an Access to City Property (ACP) permit allows a contractor or homeowner to access their job site by going through City-owned property such as a park, green space or easement. Refer to the following flowchart if you're unsure as to which permit you require.

OSCP/ACP Decision-Making Flowchart

Related Pages

Last edited: May 1, 2024