Frequently Asked Questions

Topics on this page

Participant Eligibility

Am I required to get an EnerGuide evaluation before completing my energy efficiency upgrades?

Yes, you must complete your EnerGuide evaluation before proceeding with the purchase and installation of upgrades to be eligible for the Home Energy Efficiency Grant (HEEG). For further details, view the Program Terms & Conditions

If I already have an EnerGuide evaluation, do I have to get a new one?

Your home is eligible for participation, regardless of the date on the EnerGuide evaluation, if you’ve had a version 15 EnerGuide evaluation completed after April 1, 2020, for the home that you currently reside in.  

You can use this guide to determine if your label is a version 15 label. 

For homeowners who have had an EnerGuide evaluation prior to the launch of HEEG, and have more recently completed a post- EnerGuide evaluation, the data associated with the most recent EnerGuide evaluation will be considered as the HEEG baseline. However, when enrolling in the grant, please use the NRCan file ID from the initial, pre- EnerGuide evaluation. 

To identify which EnerGuide label is the pre- label, look for the 5th character in the file ID number - which will be a D. For example: 

  • Pre- file ID format: SOEAD00123 
  • Post- file ID format: SOEAE00123 

Are homes outside of St. Albert eligible for the Home Energy Efficiency Grant?

No, only homes located within the municipal boundaries of the City of St. Albert are eligible for participation in the Home Energy Efficiency Grant.  

Are newly constructed residential homes eligible for grants?

Newly constructed residential homes that are less than six months old following the date of first occupancy as defined by NRCan standards are not eligible for HEEG. 

I live in an apartment/condominium, can I participate?

The following properties are eligible for participation under the HEEG:

  • Low-rise residential property, i.e. detached or semi-detached home; row housing or town house   
  • Multi-unit residential building with three stories or fewer, not more than 600m² in building area   
  • That is considered an existing home under NRCan’s ERS 
  • That is occupied (by homeowner, or tenant) year-round   

If your apartment or condominium fits the above criteria, then you are qualified to participate in the program. 

I have a secondary suite in my home. Is that suite suitable for grants?

Eligible home types (single-family detached, semi-detached, row or townhomes) with secondary suites are eligible for HEEG, and homeowners are eligible for rebates for upgrades in both their primary and secondary suites.

Am I still eligible for the Home Energy Efficiency Grant if I am approved to receive grant funding or financing from other programs i.e. Canada Greener Homes Grant?

Yes. Homeowners are encouraged to take advantage of other energy programs available to support their home energy retrofits. For further details and limitations regarding stacking rebates, view the Program Terms & Conditions  

For example, if the participant intends to apply for window rebates to the Canada Greener Homes Grant and are also applying for the Home Energy Efficiency Grant for the same window, this should be disclosed in the application.

I have received approval to participate in the Clean Energy Improvement Program, Am I still eligible for the Home Energy Efficiency Grant?

Yes, applicants approved to participate in the Clean Energy Improvement program can participate in the Home Energy Efficiency Program to support their home energy retrofits. Participants will need to disclose this information in the HEEG enrollment form. 

Once upgrades are completed, the grant form is submitted, and participants recieve approval of funds, the grant proceeds will be paid by cheque to the participant, and mailed to the participant at the recorded mailing address on the application.

Application Process

Where do I find the application form?

Program application forms are available online on the HEEG webpage, along with other program documents such as the Program Terms and Conditions and Program User Guide.

Here are some links for the website and other important program documents:  

Who is responsible for submitting the grant application?

The homeowner is responsible for enrolling in the program and submitting grant applications. Certain information or documentation may be required from your energy advisor and/or contractor(s) as part of your submission, but submitting the application is the responsibility of the homeowner and cannot be delegated to a third party.

What are the documents needed to submit an application?

All documentation requirements are listed for eligible evaluations and upgrades in the Eligible Products and Services List, located in the Program User Guide. For example, invoices and photos of installed products are required documentation for all upgrades. 

If hiring a contractor, it is strongly recommended that homeowners and contractors review program details, product eligibility and Program Terms and Conditions before starting energy retrofit project(s). Homeowners should make sure their chosen contractors are familiar with the Eligible Products & Services List (found within the Program Guide) to ensure the equipment being installed qualifies for grant(s). Homeowners can also ask contractors to collect and share the required documents and photos with them to support your rebate application.

Can I receive pre-approval for projects, to guarantee funds are reserved for me?

HEEG does not offer pre-approval. Grant applications must be submitted post-installation. Potential participants are encouraged to check the program website often for information on the availability of grants. 

How much time do I have to complete my energy efficiency upgrades?

Homeowners can enroll in HEEG any time after the program launch date. After enrollment, you’ll have six months or by the end of the Program date on December 31, 2025, whichever is earlier, to complete upgrades eligible for grant and submit the grant application.

How long will it take to receive the grant once my application is submitted?

You should receive your grant cheque via Canada Post within six weeks of approval of your grant application. The program administrator will follow up with participants who submitted incomplete applications, providing them an opportunity to resolve any gaps.

Who can I contact to get help with my application?

If you have an approved application and have not received your cheque within six weeks of approval of your grant application, please contact the program administrator at:

Using a Contractor

Am I required to use a professional contractor for my energy efficiency upgrades?

Hiring qualified contractors is required for the installation of some water and space heating upgrades including:  

  • Drain Water Heat Recovery  
  • Gas Tankless Water Heater  
  • Gas Storage Water Heater  
  • Heat Pump Water Heater  
  • High Efficiency Furnace  
  • HVI Certified Heat Recovery Ventilator / Energy Recovery Ventilator  

However, do-it-yourself installation is acceptable for some upgrades as indicated in the Eligible Products & Services List, including: 

  • Smart thermostats 
  • Insulation 
  • Windows 
  • Air sealing  
  • Drain water heat recovery 

It is recommended that you review the product-specific requirements within the Program User Guide for additional details 

What contractor should I use?

Neither the City of St. Albert or the program administrator(s) will recommend a specific service provider, product or contracting company. It is recommended that homeowners seek quotes/advice from multiple contractors and ask lots of questions when making decisions. Ultimately, the homeowner is responsible for researching and choosing all service providers, products and installation companies.

Can I wait until I receive the grant to pay for my contractor's services?

No, you must pay your contractor(s) for the work they have completed. Final invoices must be submitted as part of your application. As such, payment to the contractor(s) must be made before grants are approved.

Grant Eligibility and Amounts

Are solar panels eligible for the Home Energy Efficiency Grant?

No, renewable energy upgrades such as Solar PV are not eligible under HEEG. 

How do I know what products are eligible for the Home Energy Efficiency Grant?

A list of all products and services eligible can be found in the Eligible Products and Services List, located within the Program User Guide. Product-specific eligibility criteria, documentation requirements and grant amounts are described within.

How do I know what upgrades make sense in my home?

Having a qualified energy advisor perform an EnerGuide home energy evaluation is required to participate in HEEG. Along with your EnerGuide Evaluation, you will also receive a renovation upgrade report which recommends specific energy efficiency upgrades for your home. Be sure to ask your energy advisor lots of questions to better understand what is being recommended.  

Discussing your options with contractors is also important to understand the opportunities in your home, and the associated costs for equipment and installation. It's recommended that you ask for quotes from multiple contractors before making your final renovation decision.  

Is leased equipment (e.g. furnaces) eligible for grant funding?

Rental and/or leased equipment is not eligible. The program is intended to support energy efficiency upgrades that are permanent, while leased equipment is commonly installed long-term, unfortunately this cannot be guaranteed.

What if my furnace or water heater stop working and I need to have it replaced before I can get an EnerGuide evaluation? Do I still qualify?

In specific emergency situations where a homeowner has a water or space heating equipment failure, they may still qualify for grants under the emergency heat replacement scenario.

If your water or space heating equipment (e.g. furnace, water heater, etc.) fails and an EnerGuide evaluation cannot be completed before the replacement equipment is installed, you can qualify for HEEG under the following conditions: 

  • The equipment failure must occur between September 15 and April 30, in any given year. Equipment failure that occurs outside of these months are not considered an emergency according to NRCan
  • The existing equipment must be photographed prior to replacement.
  • When enrolling in HEEG, the homeowner must indicate that they experienced an emergency heat replacement and details (such as the equipment type and reason for failure) for the emergency replacement must be documented by the contractor and communicated to the energy advisor. This could be communicated by the contractor to the homeowner who then passes it along to the energy advisor.
  • An EnerGuide home energy evaluation must take place within 30 days from the equipment replacement date, and the energy advisor must use the specification from the old equipment for their evaluation.
  • All other program and product eligibility criteria must be met.

How do I know which air sealing grant I am eligible for?

Two levels of grants are available for improved air sealing of homes - standard and advanced. Due to the nature of this energy efficiency upgrade, homeowners must undergo two EnerGuide evaluations, one pre and one post. Grants are available for both of these evaluations.  

The air sealing grant amount that the participant qualifies for depends upon the improved air tightness of the home as demonstrated by the blower door test performed by the energy advisor during the post-EnerGuide evaluation. Eligibility for air sealing grants will be evaluated after the grant application has been submitted by the participant, based on data collected by the energy advisor while evaluating your home.

I see windows are eligible for a grant, how is a window defined?

A window is defined as a single rough opening, or a single structural framing in a wall separating a heated space from an unheated space. Each panel of glass within a rough opening must have its own Energy Star label. For example: 

A bay window made up of three window units installed into one rough opening is eligible for only one rebate. Each window unit must have its own Energy Star rating to be eligible for the $35 grant. 

If a bay window is made up of three window units that are each separated by a small exterior wall space, and each window unit is installed into a separate rough opening, then each of the three window units are eligible for $35 or a total grant of $105. 

A smaller window made up of a picture window unit and a slider in the same frame would be considered one window which is eligible for one $35 grant. 

A picture window and a casement window in the same opening would be considered one window which is eligible for one $35 grant. 

Skylights are not eligible.

Am I required to get the post EnerGuide evaluation once my renovations are complete?

A post EnerGuide evaluation is required for participants who are interested in the air sealing grants. It is not a requirement for all participants. However, participants are encouraged to have a post EnerGuide evaluation completed because it quantifies energy efficiency improvements, helps ensure renovations result in energy savings as expected and provides an updated EnerGuide label that reflects your improvement.

How much grant money is available?

There is no maximum grant limit per household, it is based on the number of eligible energy efficiency upgrades completed in your home.  

The total funding available for HEEG is $40,000 per year until December 2025.

What happens if the program runs out of money? How long is this grant available?

Once the funding is allocated for the year, it will renew the following year until December 2025.

EnerGuide Home Energy Evaluations

What is the EnerGuide rating system?

EnerGuide is a rating system developed by the Government of Canada to rate the energy use of various products, providing consumers with credible information about how much that product will cost to operate. This information, that is relied upon when purchasing a clothes washer or oven, is also available for your home. Both existing and newly constructed homes can be rated, allowing home buyers to make an informed decision when it comes to real estate investments. 

The City of St. Albert's program is based on version 15 of Natural Resources Canada's EnerGuide Rating System which was launched in the Province of Alberta in the fall of 2016 and provides a gigajoule (GJ) rating.

How do I read the EnerGuide evaluation? Where is my EnerGuide file ID?

View a sample EnerGuide label with descriptions of the information it contains.

Your EnerGuide File ID is also known as you EnerGuide File Number, and is found near the top of your EnerGuide Label.

What is a Gigajoule?

A gigajoule (GJ) is a unit of energy. You will likely have seen it on your natural gas bill, but you will not have seen it on your electricity bill (because electricity is measured in kilowatt hours). For the purposes of the EnerGuide evaluation, the electricity used in your home is converted to gigajoules. To give you some perspective on how much a gigajoule is in terms of energy output, review this Gigajoule Infographic

Gig Infographic - Government of Canada

View the Gigajoule Infographic as a PDF

*Gigajoule Infographic provided by the Government of Canada.

Why would I want an EnerGuide Home Energy Evaluation?

An EnerGuide evaluation provides a great opportunity to understand the current state of your home's energy efficiency, next steps to reduce energy costs and carbon footprint, and even identify a renovation pathway to net zero. It is a comprehensive evaluation of the “house as a system”, evaluating areas of energy loss (windows, doors, walls, and ceilings) as well as energy consumption (space and water heating), ventilation, and air tightness.  

An EnerGuide evaluation, performed by an energy advisor licensed by NRCan can help explain temperature difference between floors, moisture on the insides of windows and a path toward a more comfortable, efficient, valuable, and safe home.

How much does an EnerGuide evaluation cost?

A pre- EnerGuide evaluation generally costs $400 to $450 plus GST. Larger homes, or remote homes may result in a higher price as quoted by your energy advisor. Prices are set by the service providers, not by the City of St. Albert. It is recommended that homeowners contact multiple energy advisors seeking quotes before deciding. Keep in mind that Canada’s Greener Homes Grant  provides up to $600 towards the pre- and post- EnerGuide evaluations. 

A post- EnerGuide evaluation is usually completed by the same energy advisor who performed your pre- evaluation and generally costs $250 plus GST. Prices are set by the service providers, not by the City of St. Albert.

Related Pages

Last edited: August 10, 2023