Skip to content ›
City of St.Albert

Home Fire Safety

Fire Prevention  

Fire Prevention Week Open House

Fire Prevention Week is Sunday, October 7 to Saturday, October 13. This year’s theme: Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere.

Take part in the Open House and learn how important it is for you reduce the likelihood of having a fire and how to escape safely if one occurs. This year’s event includes giveaways, displays, inflatable castles, draws and free hot dogs and refreshments.

Date:               Sunday, October 14
Time:               1 to 4 p.m.
Location:         Fire Hall #3 – 100 Giroux Road

Put your child’s name into the draw to become Fire Chief for a Day! As the Chief, your child will get to meet the firefighters, learn about and ride in a fire truck, sit at the Fire Chief’s desk and even help conduct an inspection.

Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere.

Learn the three basic steps to reduce the likelihood of having a fire – and how to escape safely in the event of one.

LOOK for places fire could start. Take a good look around your home. Identify potential fire hazards and take care of them.

LISTEN for the sound of the smoke alarm. You could have only minutes to escape safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Go to your outside meeting place, which should be a safe distance from the home and where everyone should know to meet.

LEARN two ways out of every room and make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily and are free of clutter.
Information courtesy of the NFPA

Tips

It's important that everyone in your home knows some simple fire prevention strategies that can keep your family safe throughout the year. 

  • Keep an eye on the oven and the stove. When you're cooking, never leave the kitchen and pay attention to what you have in the oven or on the stove. 
  • When there's no air, there's no flame. Keep an oven mitt and lid close to the stove. Should a small pan fire occur, use the oven mitt to grab the lid to slide over the pan - smothering the flame. Once the lid is in place, turn the stove element to the off position. If a fire occurs in the oven, leave the door closed and shut off the element. 
  • When dealing with a small pan fire:
    •  Never move a burning pan. You risk the chance of your clothing catching on fire.
    •  Never place a burning pan in the sink filled with water. When in contact with some burning products, such as cooking oil, water can increase the size of the flames and possibly spread the fire. 
    •  Keep dish towels or cloths away from any elements and never use them as splatter protectors on the stove.
  • Important life-saving tip: if your clothes catch fire, drop to the floor and roll. 
  • Make sure all family members know how to get out of your house safely in the case of a fire. Plan your fire escape routes.
  • Check smoke detectors once a month, and change your batteries twice a year. Change your batteries during the time change in spring and fall to help you remember.
  • If you use a space heater, keep it at least one metre  away from anything that may burn.
  • If you smoke, do not smoke in bed.
  • Keep matches and lighters away from where kids will find them.
  • Don’t overload extension cords.
  • Be careful cooking. Move combustible materials away from your stove. Make sure the handles of pots are turned inward and don’t hang over the side of the stove where they can be grabbed or knocked. If a grease fire starts, never walk with a burning pan. Instead, cover the pan with a lid to smother the flames and turn off the burner.
  • Extinguish candles when leaving the room or going to sleep. 
  • Keep lit candles away from items that can catch fire such as toys, clothing, books, curtains, Christmas trees and paper decorations. 
  • Don't place lit candles near windows, where blinds or curtains may close or blow over them. Don't use candles in high traffic areas where children or pets could knock them over. 
  • It's important to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. However, carbon monoxide detectors do not replace the need for prevention through yearly maintenance and inspection of heating systems and appliances. 
  • At Christmas time, if using a live tree, check for freshness by pulling on the needles. If they are brown or come off easily, the tree is probably dry and can be a fire hazard. 
  • During the holidays, always unplug tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep. 

Resources

To learn more, visit the following links, all of which provide you with valuable information and helpful tips on keeping your family safe.

For more information, please contact:

Fire Station No. 3
100 Giroux Road
St. Albert, AB

Phone: 780-418-6069
Fax: 780-459-7636

Last edited: September 17, 2018

Return to the top ↑