The Animal Bylaw promotes responsible pet ownership and balances safety and enjoyment for all residents. The bylaw exists to protect people and pets.
Responsible Dog Ownership
- Dogs must be on a leash that is two metres or less in length at all times, except in designated off-leash areas.
- Dogs must be on a leash on or within one metre of trails, including trails in an off-leash area.
- Dog owners or walkers must always carry a leash, even in off-leash areas, and show their leash to an officer if requested.
Stop and Scoop
- Dog owners or walkers must pick up poop immediately and always carry a means of picking up after their dog.
- Dog walkers must always be able to pick up after their dogs.
- You are required to carry extra bags and show them if asked by an officer.
- Failure to pick up after your pet could result in a $250 fine.
Waste bag dispensers are located throughout the city. Take a bag? Replace it!
Determination of a Dangerous Dog
A dog’s behaviour will determine whether it is dangerous, not its breed.
Fines and Penalties
- Dogs are not allowed in playground areas.
- Licences for dangerous dogs will have an increased fee.
Last edited: September 13, 2023