The use of photo enforcement significantly reduces speeding and is one of the tools St. Albert uses that has been proven to reduce collisions and the resulting injuries. Photo enforcement contributes towards the City’s overall goal of Vision 0, where no severe motor vehicle incidents occur on our roads.
Criteria for Photo Enforcement Sites
- High-risk locations – where the safety of residents or police officers would be at risk through conventional enforcement methods (pulled over on busy road etc.)
- High-frequency locations – where motorists are ignoring or breaking traffic laws on an ongoing basis
- High-collision locations
- Where conventional enforcement is unsafe or ineffective
- Areas or intersections with a history of collisions
- Areas or intersections with an identifiable, documented history of speeding problems
- Intersections with an identifiable, documented history of red light offences
- High-speed, multi-lane arteries
- School and playground zones or areas
- Construction zones
- Areas where the public or a community has expressed concerns related to speeding
Top 10 Mobile Photo Enforcement Sites
These 10 photo enforcement sites were chosen as they meet one or more of the top selection criteria. In 2017, these sites received regular enforcement as the locations have a higher number of offenders and greater traffic volumes. This top 10 list is updated annually and does not include Intersection Safety Device cameras.
All entrances to the city have permanent signage identifying that the City of St. Albert uses photo enforcement. There are additional photo enforcement signs posted throughout the city. Intersection Safety Device camera locations are signed in all four directions.
- St. Albert Trail SB at/near St. Anne Street
- McKenney Avenue WB at or near Mission Ridge Mall
- Grandin Road NB at/near Glen Meadow Crescent
- Erin Ridge Drive at/near Ellesmere Drive
- Sir Winston Churchill Avenue WB at/near St. Anne Street
- Gervais Road WB at/near Grange Drive
- St. Albert Trail SB at/near Everitt Drive North
- Sturgeon Road WB at/near Red Willow Park
- Mission Avenue EB at/near Morgan Park
- Villeneuve Road EB at/near Ray Gibbon Drive
School and Playground Zones
- 65 School and Playground Zones
- School Zones – speed limit – 30 km/h; in effect on school days from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Playground Zones – speed limit – 30 km/h; in effect starting at 8:30 a.m. and ending one hour after sunset.
For More Information:
Peace Officer Program Supervisor
Municipal Enforcement, City of St. Albert
- Section Links
- Photo Enforcement Locations
Last edited: September 26, 2018