Public Health Measures
Expanded Restrictions for High Case Regions
On May 4, 2021, the Government of Alberta announced new mandatory health restrictions to help stop the spike of COVID-19 and protect the health system. These restrictions apply to regions, including St. Albert, with at least 50 cases per 100,000 people, and at least 30 active cases. The Government of Alberta announced these new mandatory health restrictions to help stop the spike of COVID-19 and protect the health system. Restrictions will be in place for at least three weeks and will be extended in necessary.
Effective May 5, the following activities have new measures in place:
- Outdoor social gatherings,
- Indoor fitness,
- Post-secondary Institutions,
- Places of Worship,
- Hotels and motels, and
Effective Friday, May 7, all kindergarten to Grade 12 students will temporarily shift to at-home learning. Students will return to in-class learning on May 25.
Effective at 11:59 p.m. on May 9, the following activities have new expanded public health measures in place:
- Restaurants, bars, pubs, lounges and cafes,
- Personal and wellness services,
- Health, social and professional services, and
- Sports, performance and recreation.
All other current public health restrictions remain in place, including masking, and physical distancing.
For complete details, visit the Government of Alberta’s Stronger Public Health Measures.
Affected Facilities and Services
NEW: RECREATION CENTRES
- Spontaneous outdoor activities may continue under the current restrictions in place. This includes activities like running, biking, playing in a park, shooting hoops, fishing etc.
- Two metre physical distancing must be maintained at all times
- Outdoor social gatherings are limited to a maximum of five people.
Indoor Recreation Facilities
- As of May 5, all indoor fitness and recreation activities and bookings at Servus Credit Union Place, Fountain Park Recreation Centre and Jarome Iginla/Kinex continue to be cancelled for at least three weeks.
Outdoor Recreation Bookings/Rentals/Programs/Classes
- Starting May 9 at 11:59 p.m., all outdoor organized sport and recreation bookings and fitness programs and classes are cancelled for a minimum of three weeks. This includes:
- Bookings at Larry Olexiuk Field
- Bookings at sport fields and ball diamonds
- Outdoor fitness classes
- Outdoor personal trainers
Open Outdoor Amenities include:
- BLESS Platform (located in Rotary Park, 2 Rodeo Drive)
- Boat Launch at Rotary Park
- Picnic Shelters – spontaneous use only, includes Lions Park
- Portable toilets at Alpine and Rotary Parks
- Washroom access only at Pavilions at Kingswood, Lacombe Lake Park and Lions Park (8 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
- Two metre physical distancing must be maintained at all times.
- Outdoor social gatherings limited to a maximum of five people.
The City is awaiting further guidance from the Province on its pickleball and tennis courts, skatepark, outdoor pool and water play park facilities. Information will be provided once it is confirmed.
We encourage you to stay active through our Spring Virtual Fitness Programs and virtual fitness classes, as well as physical distanced outdoor activities. Remember outdoor activities must be limited to a maximum of five people and physical distancing must be maintained at all times.
If you have questions, contact us Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; closed statutory holdings:
- Aquatics at 780-459-1553 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fitness or Recreation at 780-418-6088 or email@example.com. Also available Saturday and Sunday between 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
THE ARDEN THEATRE
All Arden Theatre programming continues to be offered virtually.
The Arden Theatre is closed until further notice. The Arden Theatre Box Office is reaching out to ticket holders with more information on dates, refunds or credit options. Questions can be directed to the box office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn about upcoming virtual performances, visit The Arden Theatre or call 780-459-1542.
PERFORMING ART CLASSES
Effective immediately, all performing arts classes will be virtual only until further notice.
To sign up for online performing arts classes, visitstalbert.ca/arts-classes.
- Premier Jason Kenney: Stop the Spike – May 4, 2021
- Government of Alberta – Stronger Public Health Measures
- City of St. Albert – Information on COVID-19
- Government of Alberta - COVID Loves
Last edited: May 5, 2021