Strategies for Staying Healthy
Keeping Safe, Active and Healthy
Though there’s much about the COVID-19 outbreak out of our control, you can choose to embrace the kinds of activities that will keep you and your loved ones safe and healthy.
Fitness and Recreation Ideas
Staying active is always important to maintain good mental and physical health, especially now. Exercise can help lower stress, increase your energy and brighten your mood. If you prefer exercising in the comfort of your home or feel like getting some fresh air outside, here are some fitness and recreation ideas to try.
- Visit a City park such as the Grey Nuns White Spruce Park or nearby Riverlot 56 or take advantage of the beautiful trail system that winds throughout the city.
- Effective 8 p.m. on March 25, 2020, the City of St. Albert has implemented the closure of all playground structures on City land, including schools and open spaces, to decrease or eliminate the spread of COVID-19.
- Exercise at home.
- Other ideas for family activities include:
- Get a start on your gardening and plant your seeds
- Set up a bird feeder and watch the birds flock to it
- Work on a home renovation project
- Play your favourite board games and do puzzles with your family
- Pick up a book you’ve meant to read or start a journal
Managing Stress and Anxiety
It is natural to experience stress and anxiety in the face of something we cannot control.
- Listen to your emotions, noticing any anxiety, sadness, anger or detachment.
- When you notice troubling symptoms, pause to care for your body and mind. If you become unable to manage or function well, visit Anxiety Canada to review helpful information and coping strategies.
Additional resources are available from our Help in Tough Times page.
Taking Care of Yourself
You can support your mental health by:
- Maintaining your normal routines at home and do enjoyable activities
- Connecting with family and friends over the phone or social media
- Eating well and staying active, getting adequate rest
- Nurturing your spirit through mindfulness, exercise or prayer
- Choosing to step away or set limits for yourself from media reports on the spread of COVID-19
For families with children at home now, here are some web links with creative and fun activities to fill the day.
- Simple Activities for Children and Adolescents
- 20 Screen-Free Things to Do with Your Kids Indoors when School is Closed
- 100 Activities to Do at Home During School Closures
- 150+ Educational Shows on Netflix
- Cosmic Kids Yoga on YouTube
- Doodles with Mo Williams on YouTube
Last edited: March 27, 2020