Strategies for Staying Healthy
Rely on Trusted Sources of Information
Though there’s much about COVID-19 over which you have no control, you can choose to embrace the kinds of practices that will keep you and your loved ones safe such as the health practices suggested by the World Health Organization and Alberta Health Services.
Please remember to share and read/watch reliable information:
Another way to care for yourself is to care for others by sharing the best information you’ve discovered.
When you find a reputable resource that’s helpful, share it with a loved one. In a culture where people are feeling anxious, you can be a gift to others.
If you become consumed by breaking news about the spread of COVID-19, you can also choose to step away from media reports for a time. At the same time, if you find yourself feeling overwhelmed by the news or compulsively checking the news, then you need to take a break and set limits for yourself.
Fitness and Recreation Ideas
Staying active is important to maintain good mental and physical health. Exercise can help lower stress, increase energy and brighten moods. Whether you prefer exercising in the comfort of your home or feel like getting some fresh air outside, the City has developed a variety of online programs, activities and resources to explore.
For more ideas on creative and fun ways to fill the day visit:
- Crafts, eBook clubs, story readings and more from St. Albert Public Library
- Information for Young Children and Students
- News, Information and Answers for Tweens and Teens
- Simple Activities for Children and Adolescents
Managing Stress and Anxiety
It's natural to experience stress and anxiety in the face of something we cannot control.
- Listen to your emotions, noticing any anxiety, sadness, anger or detachment.
- When you notice troubling symptoms, pause to care for your body and mind. If you become unable to manage or function well, visit Anxiety Canada to review helpful information and coping strategies.
Additional resources are available at Help in Tough Times.
Taking Care of Yourself
Support your mental health by:
- Maintaining your normal routines at home and do enjoyable activities
- Connecting with family and friends over the phone or social media
- Eating well and staying active, getting enough rest
- Nurturing your spirit through mindfulness, exercise or prayer
Last edited: September 2, 2020