St. Albert Transit is pleased to announce the arrival of St. Albert's new, state-of-the-art, battery-powered buses - Canada's first municipally-owned, long range electric buses.
The new buses are currently being prepared for deployment on regular route service. Equipment is being added and drivers and technicians are being trained on the unique features of these vehicles. Residents should see these buses on on the streets of St. Albert by the end of May.
- The new 35ft electric buses will operate on both local and commuter transit routes.
- Cleaner and quieter for residents compared to diesel buses.
- Though they are slightly smaller than the current 40ft buses, seating capacity is only reduced by 5 seats (40ft bus = 37 seats, 35ft electric bus = 32 seats).
Environmentally Friendly Transit
- Battery powered and capable of extended periods of operation, making multiple trips without recharging.
- Recharging will take place during periods of lower demand electricity usage.
- Reduction in operational costs and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Quiet operation, reducing noise pollution.
electric bus service schedule
Want to take a ride on the electric bus? The electric bus will be operating on the following routes for the week of June 12, 2017:
- Route 201 departing Muir Drive at 9:32 a.m., departing Village Transit Station at 9:40 a.m.
- Route A4 departing Muir Drive at 11:05 a.m.
- Route 201 departing Muir Drive at 11:32 a.m., departing Village Transit Station at 11:40 a.m.
- Route A4 departing Muir Drive at 1:05 p.m.
- Route 201 departing Muir Drive at 1:32 p.m., departing Village Transit Station at 1:40 p.m.
- Route A8 departing Muir Drive at 3:09 p.m.
- Route A9 departing Muir Drive at 3:45 p.m.
- Continue to check this webpage for further updates.
- Every few months, St. Albert Transit will update the operational status of the new buses; kilometers travelled, electricity used and any challenges encountered.