Students Ride Free Program
Promoting transit habits in our youth
Originally offered as a pilot program from March 1, 2019 to December 31, 2020, St. Albert Transit is now pleased to offer the Students Ride Free Program on a permanent basis, effective January 1, 2021.
While the goal of the program is to promote transit habits in St. Albert youth that will carry on to post-secondary and adult stages of their lives, our services also supplement and assist local school boards with their transportation needs.
How it works
It is important to note that there are two distinct services provided by St. Albert Transit:
- Local service - routes for neighbourhoods within St. Albert.
- Commuter service - routes that take riders into Edmonton.
- The Students Ride Free Program only applies to local service routes, whereby secondary school-aged youth, between the ages of 13 and 18, can ride St. Albert Transit for free – seven days a week. It does not include commuter travel into and out of Edmonton.
- Effective January 1, 2021, St. Albert youth will no longer require a ticket to board St. Albert Transit for local travel. However, proof of age (such as a valid student ID or graduated driver’s licence) may be required if asked.
- While not part of this initiative, elementary school-aged children, 12-years-old and under, can ride local transit routes for free, as well as commuter routes for free if accompanied by an adult who has paid the commuter trip fare. If a child requires travel to and from Edmonton unaccompanied, please contact St. Albert Transit Administration at 780-418-6060.
On March 1, 2019, St. Albert Transit launched the Students Ride Free Program as a pilot at the direction of City Council. Set to expire at the end of June, 2020, Council endorsed an extension of the program to the end of December, 2020 due to the uptake in youth ridership.
On November 16, 2020, City Council unanimously approved a recommendation that the Students Ride Free Program become permanent.
During the 2019/2020 school year, St. Albert Transit provided 75,000 local trips to students. From March, 2019 to mid-October, 2020, St. Albert Transit had already provided 84,000 local trips.
The success of this program is largely due to the support received by school boards and administrations. The pilot program included 15 St. Albert junior high and high schools.
Last edited: November 27, 2020