Mayor Cathy Heron
Elected Mayor of St. Albert 2017 to 2021 Term of Office
- Cathy is a lifelong resident of St. Albert.
- Mother of three young adults.
- Cathy is a strong believer that “It takes a village to raise a child”. This belief and her love of St. Albert is the principal driver of her community and family life.
- Cathy earned her Bachelor of Science degree in Microbiology from the University of Alberta in 1991 and Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences from the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in 1993. She was admitted to the Alberta Professional Biologist Association in 1996.
- She has worked for Kasper Laboratories and for Enviro-test Laboratories as an Environmental Analyst until her children arrived.
Council Activities and Achievements
- Served two terms as St. Albert Councillor (2009 to 2017)
- Elected to the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association (AUMA) Board of Directors in 2015 and Vice President in 2017 as Director Cities up to 500,000
- Served two years as chair of the Standing Committee on Finance
- Served on the Environmental Advisory Committee, Economic Advisory Committee, Sturgeon Foundation, Alberta Capital Region Waste Water Commission and Capital Region Board
- Capital Region Board Growth Plan Update Task Force
- Capital Region Board Housing committee
- Capital Region Board Governance Committee
- Albert Recycling Management Authority Board
- Alberta Capital Region Waste Minimization Committee
- Very Proud to serve on the Integrated land Use and market Affordable Housing Advisory Committee and help produce the Report Called “Our Affordable Future”
- Completed courses in Community Economic Development for Elected Officials, Lobbying Government Effectively, Municipal Finance, Sustainability
- Community Engagement Committee and Smart City Task Force
Over the years Cathy has been very active in the community.
- In 2004 Cathy was appointed to the Community Services Board and held the position of Board Chair since 2009.
- Cathy has served on the RCMP Community Advisory Committee since 2006 and is Committee Chair for the last 3 years.
- Cathy served as Chair of the St. Albert Strategy and Mobilization Committee
- Cathy was a member of the Task Force on Vandalism.
- Cathy is a “Roots of Empathy “instructor and mentor in St Albert and Northern Alberta.
- Cathy has been a Girl Guide leader for 7 years
- Cathy is very active in the Protestant School system through stakeholder workshops, school council and parent associations
- Cathy has chaired the Keenooshayo playground committee in 2007
- Cathy is a proud member of the St. Albert Rotary Club
- Cathy enjoys working with children of all ages and a strong advocate of the 40 Development Assets approach the City has initiated.
- Cathy enjoys reading, her family and 2 dogs, camping and sailing.
Last edited: March 3, 2021