Mayor Cathy Heron
Elected Mayor of St. Albert for her second consecutive term of office for 2021 to 2025
- Cathy is a lifelong resident of St. Albert.
- Cathy and her partner John have a vibrant blended family of 7 siblings ranging from 13 to 23 and the much loved Boomer, the family dog.
- “It takes a village to raise a child.” is the driver of her passion for community and family life.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Microbiology from the University of Alberta in 1991 and Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences from the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in 1993. She was admitted to the Alberta Professional Biologist Association in 1996.
Council Activities and Achievements
- Served two terms as St. Albert Councillor (2010 to 2017).
- Elected President of Alberta Municipalities (formerly known as the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association or AUMA) in 2021.
- Previously elected Vice President in 2017 as Director Cities up to 500,000 and to the Board of Directors in 2015. Chaired the organization’s Recovery Task Force, Sustainability and Environment Committee, and the Municipal Governance Committee.
- Served on the Alberta Capital Region Waste Water Commission, Alberta Capital Region Waste Minimization Committee, Capital Region Board, Capital Region Board Growth Plan Update Task Force, and Capital Region Board Housing Committee.
- Very proud to serve on the Capital Region Board’s Integrated Land Use and Market Affordable Housing Advisory Committee and collaborated on the Our Affordable Future report.
- Member of the Alberta Recycling Management Authority Board (2016-present).
- Further Education: Community Economic Development for Elected Officials, Lobbying Government Effectively, Municipal Finance, Sustainability, Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) Climate Leadership.
Over the years, Cathy has been an active and contributing member of our community as a parent, citizen and leader.
- In 2004, Mayor Heron began her community service when she was appointed to the City of St. Albert’s Community Services Board.
- A member of the City of St. Albert’s Task Force on Vandalism.
- A Roots of Empathy instructor and mentor in St. Albert and Northern Alberta, a Girl Guide Leader for seven years, active in the Public School System through stakeholder workshops, school council and parent associations.
- A proud member of the St. Albert Rotary Club since 2010.
- Cathy enjoys working with children of all ages.
- Passionate for the outdoors, you will find her near the water, sailing at lake Wabamun in the summer months, or camping in one the beautiful campgrounds around Alberta with her family.
Last edited: April 13, 2022