Put the Brake on Auto Theft!
As much as we’d like to think it won’t happen here, auto thefts do happen. To date in 2017, 103 vehicles have been reported stolen in St. Albert. And while that number is down slightly from the same time last year, it doesn’t console the people who discover it’s their vehicle that’s gone.
With the cold weather now here and vehicles often left running, thieves look for opportunities. Here’s what YOU can do to put a BRAKE on Auto Theft!
- Lock your doors. Even if you don’t have anything valuable in your vehicle, thieves often try door handles to see if they can get in.
- Take your garage door opener, keys and vehicle registration papers out of your vehicle when it’s parked. These items can be used to commit other crimes, including identity theft and break and enter, if they are stolen.
- Don’t leave your vehicle running with the keys inside. This puts you at an extremely high risk for vehicle theft!
- Take your briefcase, purse, backpacks that may contain wallets, ID, cell phones or other valuables out of your vehicle. Plus, don’t put them in your glove box or trunk. Thieves know to check those locations.
Did You Know?
- In 2017, at least 17 St. Albert residents have had their licence plates stolen from their parked vehicles. Some of these licence plates were used on other vehicles to commit crimes, and residents were faced proving they were not responsible. Don’t let it happen to you!
- St. Albert Neighbourhood Watch, in partnership with the St. Albert RCMP Crime Free Multi-Housing Program, offers free tamper proof screws on licence plates to prevent theft!
- To find out more, call the St. Albert RCMP at 780-458-7700.
Help us put a brake on auto theft! If you SEE something, SAY something. Let’s look out for one another. A connected community is a safer community.
Last edited: December 18, 2017