Eliminate Santa’s Naughty List
Crime Prevention Tips for the Holidays
Santa’s making his list and checking it twice. And with your help, we can turn naughty into nice.
Crimes of opportunity happen all year round. And as we approach the holidays, we need to be extra vigilant and take steps to prevent these types of crimes from occurring.
Here are the simple things you can do to keep your holidays enjoyable and prevent people from going on Santa’s naughty list.
Around Your Home
- Always lock your vehicle and your house, even if you are only away for a few moments.
- Turn your lights on inside and outside your home after dark. Criminals don’t like bright places.
- If you are going to be away during the holidays, arrange for a friend or neighbour to check on your house and pick up any mail or packages. Items left unattended provide a sure sign that no one is home.
Holiday Shopping & Vehicles
- Hide valuables from view, including loose change and electronic devices.
- Keep shopping bags out of sight.
- Never leave your vehicle running while unattended.
- Park in well-lit areas with pedestrian traffic.
- Remove IDs, vehicle registration, insurance certificates and credit cards from your vehicle.
- Remove keys from your vehicle, including your spare set.
- Always close your vehicle windows and lock all doors.
Record Your Property
- After Christmas, record the serial numbers of any new items in case they are stolen in the future.
- If an item doesn’t have a serial number, engrave your name or initials on the item.
- Take pictures of your valuable items and save them in case they are stolen.
Make your holiday season one to remember for all the right reasons! View the holiday crime prevention tips for more information from the St. Albert RCMP.
Last edited: December 13, 2018