Published on December 10, 2019
Smart City Update 2.0
Building on our Past, Preparing for our Future
Building on our Past
In 2016, St. Albert developed its first Smart City Master Plan with the goal to be forward-looking, progressive and resource efficient. Since that time, many of the individual strategies of Smart City Master Plan 1.0 have been accomplished or have evolved.
What is a Smart City?
Smart City is a plan to use technology wisely and appropriately to accomplish the goals of the City, including service improvement, efficiencies and economic development.
Preparing for our Future
Smart City Update 2.0 is the next step in St. Albert’s progression. It will serve as a progress report from the steps taken since 2016, to where we are today, to where we want to be in the future.
This updated plan takes into consideration existing municipal planning and strategy documents such as the Community Vision and Pillars of Sustainability. There is also strong alignment with the Municipal Development Plan (MDP) that is currently under development and will shape how the city grows and develops to a population of 100,000. This alignment will ensure that all Smart City progress contributes to larger community goals.
Smart City Update 2.0:
- The new plan focuses on the efficient delivery of municipal services, with an additional emphasis on economic development and how technologies are vital to the local and wider economy.
- Regional partnerships are important, recognizing that St. Albert is part of the larger Edmonton Metropolitan Region and is within a province that has experienced challenges to its traditional petrochemical-based economy.
- St. Albert recognizes that to be successful, all members of the community need to be considered, including the Indigenous community.
- Data governance, privacy and security are fundamental requirements for all Smart City initiatives. As civic technologies increase their presence in the lives of residents, the City must ensure appropriate and secure use.
- This plan reflects the idea that technology can be a catalyst for positive change in the lives and work of residents and City staff.
- It also outlines projects completed and underway (from Smart City 1.0), as well as opportunities for advancements moving forward and beyond 2021.
Highlight: St. Albert is a community that recognizes the value in actively designing our view of what we want to be as a Smart City of the future, as a complement to its existing reputation as one of Canada’s best places to live, best places to raise a family, and best places to invest.
Broader than Technology
Smart City Update 2.0 is broader than a list of technology applications or partnerships within the business community. The intent behind this Smart City Plan is to promote increased value to our residents and ultimately promote a high quality of life within the community. It’s vital that Smart City encourages innovation and business process improvements and is built-in to normal City business processes and planning instead of being something extraordinary and brief.
Goals and objectives are built around the following categories:
- Housing Variety
- Robust Economy
- Government Services
- Smart Infrastructure
- Green Environment
- Community Well-being
- Mobility Choices
- Vibrant Downtown
- Great Places
- Waste Management
- Cultural Richness
Smart City Update 2.0 demonstrates how we are evolving into the city we want to be, where technology fuels opportunity, inclusion, engagement, innovation and ultimately, provides an enhanced quality of life for all residents.
View the Smart City Update 2.0 to review the update and see our progress to date.
View the Smart City section for further information.
Did You Know: In April 2019, St. Albert’s first Smart City Master Plan was recognized on a global stage by German-based company Roland Berger, who did a worldwide comparison of smart city strategies. St. Albert took third place out of 153 cities, topped only by London, England (second place) and Vienna, Austria (first place).
Last edited: December 10, 2019