Winter Holiday Guide
The cold and snow can make you want to stay inside and hide, but did you know the City of St. Albert has exciting winter activities and programs that will have you loving winter? There are so many great options and here are a few highlights:
- Enjoy a wintery walk on the Red Willow Trail System; just add hot chocolate! The trails are cleared all throughout the winter for residents to enjoy.
- Bundle up and go skating, tobogganing, cross-country skiing or snowshoeing all right here in St. Albert.
- Keep warm at Servus Credit Union Place with indoor activities, which include: drop-in fitness classes, winter break camps, swimming, and recreation activities in the courts, fieldhouses and ice rinks.
- Looking for a tropical escape? Enjoy public and lane swimming at Fountain Park Recreation Centre from December 23 to 31, 2017. Reminder: the pool is closed on December 25.
Wishing everyone a very merry and active holiday season! For more activity ideas, upcoming events, and to see the holiday hours at our facilities over the winter break, visit the Winter Holiday Guide page.
Maintaining Your Workout Schedule Over the Holidays
A Fitness and Wellness Coordinator at Servus Credit Union Place comments that, “The holidays can be fun, but they also offer the perfect opportunity for excuses. The key to staying active when things get busier is being open to flexible scheduling and reminding yourself why you've committed to a healthy lifestyle.”
Tips to stay active this holiday season:
- Stay active at least four to five times a week and get creative. If you know you're going to be at the in-laws in the middle of nowhere, pack some resistance bands in your suitcase so you can still do strength training.
- You can also go ‘old school’ and integrate high-repetition, low-rest bodyweight moves with jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers, push-ups, jump squats and jump lunges. Move from exercise to exercise in 30-second bursts for a five-minute circuit to get a great cardio blast.
- If you're staying close to home, plan your workouts around the holiday chaos by going to the gym at a different time, or taking advantage of a drop-in fitness class.
- Workouts may need to be shortened to make commitments, but always remember that some exercise is better than none!
New Year’s Eve Fireworks
Sunday, December 31
8:30 p.m. sharp
This is the perfect setting to celebrate the start of 2018 with family and friends! Residents are reminded to dress for the weather and arrive early to find parking and a spot to sit.
For more information, visit the New Year’s Eve Fireworks event page.
Last edited: December 18, 2017