For Immediate Release / July 8, 2021
RCMP - Crime Prevention Theme for July is Theft From Yard
The Alberta Crime Prevention theme for July is “Theft From Yard.” In 2019 there were over 126,000 property crime offenses in Alberta with over 12,400 of them occurring in July.
St. Albert RCMP ask the community to follow the following tips to prevent these types of thefts from occurring:
- Ensure bicycles/scooters are locked up and/or put away
- Put identifying marks/numbers or serial numbers on bikes, lawn mowers, quads, outdoor equipment/tools
- Put away children’s toys and bikes
- Put away all tools
- Lock the front door even when outside in the back yard
- Ask a neighbour to take care of the yard & take in papers if you plan to be away
- Turn on outside lights in the evening and install motion sensor lights
Similar to the above tips, St. Albert RCMP follow #9PMRoutine / Lock It – Crime Reduction initiatives.
Every night at 9 PM:
- Remove valuables from your vehicle and ensure it’s locked, windows are closed, and if possible, your vehicle’s parked in a garage.
- Close all garage windows and lock any garage doors, especially those leading into your house.
- Keep your vehicle registration and insurance documents secure. The documents can be used to commit other crimes.
- Check and lock all house doors and shut all windows.
- Turn on an exterior light.
- Close and lock your fence gate.
- Lock your shed.
- Put away bikes and toys in your yard.
- Park in the garage instead of the street, if possible.
Everyone has a role to play in keeping our community safe. If you see something or feel something is suspicious, do not assume someone else has reported it, write it down and call the police.
St. Albert RCMP encourage the public to report any criminal or suspicious activity to the RCMP Detachment at 780-458-7700. Reports tell us where to look, who to look for, and where to patrol in the future. If you see a crime in progress, dial 911. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
- 30 -
Last edited: July 12, 2021