For Immediate Release / May 10, 2021
RCMP - Crime Prevention Theme for May is Break & Enter to Residential, Seasonal Properties & Outbuildings
The Alberta Crime Prevention theme for May is “Break & Enter to Residential, Seasonal Properties & Outbuildings.” A residential break & enter occurs when someone enters a residence or outbuilding without permission and commits or intends to commit a crime, typically theft. Regardless of the value of property stolen or destroyed, break & enter is a serious offence and as a victim, break & enter can reduce feelings of safety and security.
St. Albert RCMP are reminding the community to take every step possible to protect their property and urge people to be vigilant about strangers coming onto your/neighbour’s property, or entering condo/apt buildings.
Tips To Remember:
- Lock/Secure all doors and windows to homes, outbuildings, sheds, garages
- Consider installing alarms, surveillance cameras and motion sensor lights
- Ensure lights are on timers inside residence
- Leave outdoor lights on at night
- Do not leave valuables lying around the property or in vehicles
- Season Properties should be checked regularly if not occupied
- Let neighbours know if you are going away
- If away, make arrangements for mail/papers to be picked up daily & grass/yard work is taken care of
Everyone has a role to play in keeping our communities safe. If you see something or feel something is suspicious, do not assume someone else has reported it, write it down and call the police. Citizens are reminded to follow #9PMRoutine / Lock It – Crime Reduction initiatives practiced in St. Albert.
St. Albert RCMP encourage the public to report any criminal or suspicious activity to the RCMP Detachment at 780-458-7700. Reports tell us where to look, who to look for, and where to patrol in the future. If you see a crime in progress, dial 911. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
- 30 -
Last edited: May 10, 2021