For Immediate Release / June 10, 2021
RCMP - Crime Prevention Theme for June is Theft of Off Highway Vehicles
The Alberta Crime Prevention theme for June is “Theft of Off Highway Vehicles.” St. Albert citizens should not only focus on off highway vehicles (quads, side-by-sides, dirt bikes, golf carts) but all other outdoor items located on their property as well (bicycles, scooters, boats, lawn mowers and small farm equipment).
St. Albert RCMP encourage the community to follow the following tips to keep recreational vehicles and other summer items safe:
- Follow a nightly checklist to ensure everything is locked up and secured for the night.
- When you are finished using your recreational vehicle, bicycle or scooter, park them in a locked garage or shed.
- If you cannot park indoors, park in sight and chained to something.
- To ensure maximum protection, turn on your outside lights at night.
- Engrave your off-highway vehicles and other valuable items with your name and/or a serial number/driver’s license number.
- Keep a detailed list of your property including photos, make/models and serial numbers.
- Invest in timers for lights and surveillance cameras.
Everyone has a role to play in keeping our community safe. If you see something or feel something is suspicious, do not assume someone else has reported it, write it down and call the police.
This month, follow #SummerSafety for crime prevention tips to safely store and protect your off-highway vehicles on our social media accounts on Twitter (@RCMPAlberta), Facebook (@RCMPinAlberta) and YouTube (@RCMPAlbertaGRC).
Citizens are also encouraged to follow #9PMRoutine / Lock It – Crime Reduction initiatives practiced in St. Albert.
St. Albert RCMP encourage the public to report any criminal or suspicious activity to the RCMP Detachment at 780-458-7700. Reports tell us where to look, who to look for, and where to patrol in the future. If you see a crime in progress, dial 911. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
- 30 -
Last edited: June 10, 2021