For Immediate Release / October 15, 2021
RCMP - Offer safe driving tips for fall/winter driving
St. Albert RCMP are reminding citizens that driving conditions are changing with winter approaching. Days are shorter, sun glare is more prevalent and children/youth are walking/biking to school in early morning hours, when it is still dark.
Things to consider when driving in the fall and winter:
- Avoid Sun Glare
- Clean the inside of your windshield at least once a month. Many drivers clean the outside windshield on a regular basis but tend to neglect the inside
- Check your windshield for pitting and cracks
- To help others see you, drive with your headlights on, signal all your intentions, and make sure all lights are clean and visible
- Increase your following distance to at least 4 or 5 seconds
- Wear good quality sunglasses
- If the glare is really bad (which can be the case at sunrise or sunset) pull over someplace safe, and wait a couple of minutes for the sun to move
- Use your sun visor—it can help to block out the sun
- Make Eye Contact with Pedestrians and/or Cyclists
- This applies for drivers but for pedestrians and cyclists as well.
- Pedestrians should refer to “Point, Pause Proceed” when crossing roadways.
- Drive to Conditions – Remember the maximum posted speed is under ideal conditions
- Weather and temperatures are very unpredictable at this time of year
- Roads may appear dry/clear, but frost or ice may be present
- Do Not Wait For The First Snow Fall
- Do not procrastinate, have winter tires put on before it starts snowing
- Remember to give yourself more braking distance on icy/snowy roadways
St. Albert RCMP encourage the public to report any criminal or suspicious activity to the RCMP Detachment at 780-458-7700. Reports tell us where to look, who to look for, and where to patrol in the future. If you see a crime in progress, dial 911. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
- 30 -
Last edited: October 15, 2021