For Immediate Release / March 27, 2020
RCMP take precautions during COVID-19 Pandemic
St. Albert RCMP are taking proactive measures in the response to COVID-19. Recognizing the severity of the pandemic, the St. Albert RCMP want to ensure the officers and staff remain healthy along with keeping the public safe.
Within the Detachment, St. Albert RCMP have implemented the following safety precautions for the health & well being of the officers and staff:
- Follow all Alberta Health Services & Alberta Government guidelines/mandates for employees returning from travel or who are experiencing symptoms.
- Increase cleaning of work stations and police vehicles.
- Additional disinfectant protocols and cleaning of the detachment.
- Ensure all employees have proper Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
- Determined which staff members and/or family members that may have compromised immunity/underlying health issues and allow them to work from home.
- Modifying service delivery within the detachment by restricting public access.
- Implementing additional protocols for safe prisoner handling/lodging.
St. Albert RCMP are still responding to calls for service, but are prioritizing essential policing services to reduce unnecessary contact with the general public. When officers do respond to a complaint in the community where an individual is sick, self isolating or showing symptoms of COVID-19, the following safety precautions are being followed:
- Officers will wear their issued PPE, which includes respirator mask, gloves, eye protection and coveralls
- Officers will decontaminate after the call, insuring safe disposal of coveralls and disinfecting self & equipment.
- Officers will disinfect police vehicles after transporting any individual.
The community should not be alarmed if they see officers wearing extra protection while on duty as their goal is to keep the public and themselves safe from the spread of COVID-19.
If anyone has information regarding any crime, they are asked to contact the St. Albert RCMP Detachment at 780-458-7700 or their local police. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the "P3 Tips" app available through the Apple App or Google Play. The St. Albert RCMP also has a Drug Tip Line, 780-460-3784, where members of the community can call anonymously to report information related to suspected drug trafficking.
- 30 -
Last edited: March 27, 2020