For Immediate Release / May 13, 2021
RCMP - Created a “Safe Internet Exchange Zone”
St. Albert RCMP has created a Safe Internet Exchange Zone for residents to utilize when meeting to buy and sell items online. This program will help to provide St. Albert citizens with a safe place in the city to do their exchanges.
The location selected as the Safe Internet Exchange Zone is located in the parking lot at Servus Place (400 Campbell Road). Two parking stalls at Servus Place (location - Option 1 on the attached map), provide easy access, less busy area of the parking lot, and few obstructions ensuring continuous surveillance. This site may also be utilized for child custody exchanges.
The Safe Internet Exchange Zone will be open 24/7 for exchange of items purchased off the internet on Kijiji, Facebook buy/sell sites, Marketplace, etc. providing buyers and sellers with the knowledge that the site is under 24 hour video surveillance. Residents are encouraged to visit the site during daytime hours.
This is the first site of its kind in St. Albert. Similar programs have been put in place in surrounding municipalities, including Parkland County, Strathcona County and Edmonton.
Tips for Safely Buying And Selling Items Online:
- Do not meet in a secluded place or invite strangers into your home.
- Have someone come with you when you meet. If you cannot arrange for someone to come with you, let friends or family know where you are going, what time you're meeting, and all the details about who you are meeting. Let your contact know that everything is okay.
- Do not disclose to the seller how you will be paying if it's not necessary. If the seller is aware that you will be arriving with a large quantity of cash, it is an excellent opportunity for a personal robbery to take place.
- If you are carrying a large sum of cash, either before or after the transaction, do not make it obvious, and be careful to ensure that you are not followed after the transaction.
- Do not purchase anything while using public Wi-Fi. Shop using your own data connection or a trusted network. If you have done some shopping already, watch your financial statements for any unauthorized purchases.
St. Albert RCMP encourage the public to report any criminal or suspicious activity to the RCMP Detachment at 780-458-7700. Reports tell us where to look, who to look for, and where to patrol in the future. If you see a crime in progress, dial 911. If you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.
- 30 -
Last edited: May 13, 2021