For Immediate Release / May 22, 2020
City Receives Award for Inclusive Festival
The International Children’s Festival of the Arts recognized by Inclusion Alberta
The International Children’s Festival of the Arts has received the Community Inclusion Award from Inclusion Alberta. This family-based non-profit federation advocates on behalf of children and adults with developmental disabilities and their families in their desire to be fully included in community life.
The Community Inclusion Award is presented to individuals or groups whose efforts in enabling the complete and meaningful inclusion of individuals with developmental disabilities into community life have been inspiring and outstanding.
This award recognizes that the Children’s Festival strives to be open and accessible for everyone regardless of age or ability and builds accessibility into every aspect of the event. Examples of this inclusivity include:
- Every venue and workshop location have accessible access and seating.
- Free sensory kits are available at all feature performances. These kits include sunglasses and ear protection and are prominently displayed and offered at the entrance to each venue to anyone who would like to use one.
- There are two "calming rooms" on the Festival site that are free for patron use. These rooms feature a number of amenities like soft cushions and fidget toys to help sensory sensitive patrons who need a break from the hustle and noise of the Festival site.
- "Sensory Considerations" are prominently displayed in the brochure in order to provide attendees information about the performance ahead of time.
- People of all abilities are encouraged to volunteer for the Festival and policies and procedures are in place to make the experience of volunteering enjoyable and meaningful for everyone.
The award was presented live through a Zoom conference call on May 22, 2020.
The Festival was also recognised in 2019 by Autism Edmonton for creating an environment that is welcoming and inclusive for all.
- 30 -
Last edited: May 22, 2020