For Immediate Release / May 4, 2022
City Council Approves New Parks Bylaw
On May 2, 2022, City Council approved Parks Bylaw 07/2022 to ensure St. Albert's parks and open spaces are well-managed to meet the needs of the community today and in the future. The new bylaw will be posted to the City's Bylaws webpage on or around Tuesday, May 10, 2022.
As the previous bylaw had not been reviewed in over 10 years, there was a recognized need for a new and modernized Parks Bylaw to manage long-term sustainability and stewardship within our growing City.
Highlights of the new bylaw include:
- Ability to consume alcohol in accordance with City and provincial guidelines in designated St. Albert parks
- The Alcohol in Designated Park Spaces program is anticipated to launch in July 2022. More information, including the parks to be designated as part of the program, will be available soon
- Increased flexibility for future establishment of site-specific rules through the delegation of the City's Chief Administrative Officer
- New guidelines for business operations and organized events in parks
- New provisions in place to better protect the environment
- Changes in fines for non-compliance
- Updated and modernized language to reflect the changing needs of a growing community (i.e., inclusion of drone use)
Additional information on the Parks Bylaw and the Alcohol in Designated Park Spaces program will be shared through various communication channels in the coming weeks.
- 30 -
Last edited: May 4, 2022