For Immediate Release | April 03, 2019
Council Briefs for April 1st
Council Briefs are provided for the benefit of community members with the intent of giving a short, informal report on what occurred at Council Meetings. For the official record, please review the Adopted Minutes, available on the City website. Webcasts of Council Meetings are available the day following a Council Meeting on the City website.
Community Capital Program Grant Application
Council approved a one-time exemption to Council Policy C-CS-06 - Community Capital Program Grant to allow the St. Albert Curling Club to apply for 2019 funding through the Community Capital Program Grant.
Cancellation of April 15, 2019 Council Meeting
Council cancelled the meeting scheduled for April 15, 2019.
Utility Corporation Considerations
Council approved the following recommendations:
- That Request for Proposals to complete a comprehensive Business Plan and Market Analysis is awarded by the end of May 2019, contingent of funding approval by Council. The Business Plan and Market Analysis would be provided to Council by the end of Q3, 2019 for review and contemplated next steps.
- That Administration commence partnership discussions with sub-regional partners on a waste-to-energy pilot scale operation commencing in Q3, 2019 and that a Request for Proposal for a pilot scale waste-to-energy plant, consisting of one-year operation and associated reporting, be awarded for end of June 2019 conditional of any required funding approval to support the program.
- That Administration continue to evaluate broader alternative servicing technologies, consistent with the Corporate Business Plan, and prepare any required business cases for Council’s investment consideration.
- That Administration prepare a Municipal Utility Services Bylaw for Council’s consideration no later than end of Q3, 2019.
Bylaw 6/2019 - Municipal Development Plan Amendment
Council provided 2nd and 3rd reading, passing Bylaw 6/2019 and closed the public hearing.
Bylaw 7/2019 - Erin Ridge North Area Structure Plan Amendment - Possible Development Area
Council provided 2nd and 3rd reading, passing Bylaw 7/2019 and closed the public hearing.
Bylaw 8/2019 - Land Use Bylaw Schedule A Amendment
Council provided 2nd and 3rd reading, passing Bylaw 8/2019 and closed the public hearing.
Bylaw 12/2019 - Land Use Bylaw Amendment - Supportive Housing
Council provided first reading for Bylaw 12/2019, being Amendment 167 to Land Use Bylaw 9/2005, and scheduled a public hearing at the regularly scheduled Council meeting on April 23, 2019.
Bylaw 17/2019 - Riel Road Closure Bylaw
Council provided first reading for Bylaw 17/2019 and scheduled a public hearing at the regularly scheduled Council meeting on April 23, 2019.
Bylaw 14/2019 - Area Structure Plan Amendment - South Riel
Council provided first reading for Bylaw 14/2019 and scheduled a public hearing at the regularly scheduled Council meeting on April 23, 2019.
Bylaw 15/2019 - Land Use Bylaw Text Amendment - South Riel
Council provided first reading for That Bylaw 15/2019 and scheduled a public hearing at the regularly scheduled Council meeting on April 23, 2019.
Bylaw 16/2019 - Land Use Bylaw Amendment - Redistricting in South Riel
Council provided 1st reading of Bylaw 16/2019 and scheduled a public hearing at the regularly scheduled Council meeting on April 23, 2019.
Bylaw 9/2019- North St. Albert Trail Corridor
Council provided 2nd and 3rd readings of Bylaw 9/2019 and passed the bylaw.
Bylaw 13/2019 - Policing Committee
Council provided 1st, 2nd and 3rd reading, passing Bylaw 13/2019.
Council Motion: Advertisement and Promotion of Vaping Products
Council supported the motion to authorize the Mayor to submit a letter to the Government of Canada, supporting regulations under the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act to ban the advertisement and promotion of vaping products to youth.
That Council direct Administration to draft a resolution for submission to the 2019 AUMA Convention, requesting that the Provincial Government establish regulations complementary to any federal regulations that may be enacted to ban the advertisement and promotion of vaping products to youth.
Council Motion: Front to Back Residential Combined Units
Council supported the motion that by June 10, 2020 Administration present to the Governance, Priorities and Finance Committee changes to the Land Use Bylaw to allow front-back combined residential units.
Council Motion: Home Based Business
Council defeated the motions that by June 2020, Administration present to the Governance, Priorities and Finance Committee changes to the land use, business, and any other applicable bylaws to:
- Allow a home occupation business to employ not more than one person who does not live at the residence, regardless of whether that person works in the residence or elsewhere.
- Allow an exterior sign/plaque on the residence to advertise the business that is a maximum of 20 x 30 cm.
- Reduce or waive the business licence fee for these businesses.
Council went in camera to discuss the naming of Campbell Park & Ride, a Land Acquisition Matter, a Land Matter and have dialogue with Council and the Chief Administrative Officer.
Council Motion: Land Acquisition Matter
Council made a public motion that came out of the In Camera Item 15.2. Council supported the motion that the Chief Administrative Officer take the required internal and external steps to commence and continue a process to expropriate lands contained within Block E, Plan 8521925 as depicted on the surveyed drawing that is Attachment “A” to the Council Report dated April 1, 2019 entitled “Expropriation of Kingswood Lands”.
- 30 -