For Immediate Release | March 19, 2019
Council Briefs for March 18th
Council Briefs are provided for the benefit of community members with the intent of giving a short, informal report on what occurred at Council Meetings. For the official record, please review the Adopted Minutes, available on the City website. Webcasts of Council Meetings are available the day following a Council Meeting on the City website.
GPFC Recommendation: C-FS-15 Policy Amendment – Tax Relief
Council approved Council Policy C-FS-15 – Property Tax Relief, provided as an attachment to the March 18, 2019 Agenda Report entitled “C-FS-15 – Property Tax Relief”.
This policy provides a framework for both Council and property owners, as to what types of requests for property tax relief would be deemed reasonable and acceptable.
Year End Surplus & Reserve Transfers
Council approved that the 2018 Municipal operating surplus of $1,697,283 be transferred as follows:
- $123,000 be transferred to the Stabilization Reserve to top it up to 2.5% of the annual operating budget;
- Transfer the remaining balance, of approximately $1,574,283 to the Capital Funding Reserve.
This approval finalizes the disposition of the 2018 Municipal Year End Surplus.
Time Extension – CAO Performance Evaluation
Council approved that the performance evaluation and salary review of the Chief Administrative Officer be extended to April 30, 2019, notwithstanding Council Policy C-CAO-14 – Monitoring Chief Administrative Officer Performance.
Bylaw 10/2019 Off-site Levy Bylaw Update & Annual Report (1st, 2nd and 3rd Reading)
- Council passed Bylaw 10/2019. As well, Council also approved the following recommendations:
- That $1,188,623 from the City’s Off-Site Levy (OSL) Reimbursement Fund be transferred into the OSL Water Reserve Account.
- That $2.2M in the current off-site levy receipts held by the City be allocated and administered as indicated in “2018 OSL Receipt Reconciliation Consistent with Approved Council Policy C-P&E-08”, provided as an attachment to the March 18, 2019 agenda report entitled “Off-Site Levy Bylaw Update & Annual Report”.
This information summarizes the off-site levy rates updated for the 2019 construction season, and subsequent bylaw amendment to reflect the changes in rates and project lists.
Council Motion: Second Door in Douglas Cardinal Boardroom
Council supported a motion that Council direct Administration to install a second door in the Douglas Cardinal Boardroom and provide us with a timeline as to when it can be done and that the preferred option is an interior door. That the cost come out of the stabilization fund up to $5,000.00.
Council went in camera to discuss Council Policy C-HR-02 Employee Remuneration, MDP Update, and Bylaw Updates – Policing Committee. Council also held dialogue with the Chief Administrative Officer and themselves.
- 30 -