For Immediate Release | November 28, 2017
Council Briefs for November 27th
Council Briefs are provided for the benefit of community members with the intent of giving a short, informal report on what occurred at Council Meetings. For the official record, please review the Adopted Minutes, available on the City website. Webcasts of Council Meetings are available the day following a Council Meeting on the City website.
Environmental Initiatives Grant Recommendations
Council supported the following recommendations by the Environmental Advisory Committee for the 2017 Environmental Initiatives Grant Program.
- Bellerose Composite High School Sustainability Club to pilot an Energy Literacy Awareness Campaign: $2,913.90
- École Father Jan Elementary School Council to create an outdoor classroom: $4,500.00
- Keenooshayo Elementary School for a raised garden table: $632.10
- Robert Rundle Elementary School to fund environment club activities and programs: $1,700.00
- St. Albert Daycare Society to expand the daycare’s outdoor garden program: $1,000.00
- St. Albert Nature School to start a community environmental education program: $3,612.00
- St. Albert Urban Agriculture to add seating to the Food Forest: $1,531.18
- Tool Library of St. Albert to initiate a tool sharing library: $5,000.00
- Trout Unlimited to further establish the Yellow Fish Road Program in St. Albert: $5,000.00
- Venture into Nature project to plan and implement nature walks in St. Albert’s natural areas: $800.00
Grants for the 2017 Environmental Initiatives Grant Program totaled $26,689.18.
Time Extension Request
Council approved the following deadline extensions:
- Draft MOU with Gymnastics – extended to Q2 – 2018
- Zero Waste Process – extended to Q2 - 2018
Municipal Inspection Report – Administration Update
Council received for information Administration’s responses and proposed follow-up activities to the Municipal Inspection Report recommendations, as outlined in the attachment to the November 27, 2017 agenda report entitled “Municipal Inspection Report – Administration Update”.
Council Motion: St. Albert Handi-bus
The proposed motion was not moved to approve the Edmonton General Hospital as a required stop for St. Albert patients effective in 30 days.
Council Motion: Riel Park Signage
The proposed motion was not moved that signage signifying that Riel Business Park be updated to also include its residential nature and be completed in 2019.
Council Motion: Sports “Wall of Fame”
The proposed motion was not moved that Administration explore opportunities for various Sports “Wall of Fame” similar to the ice sports one at Servus Place and provide a report to Council in 2020.
Council Motion: Oakmont School Site
Council supported a motion that Administration review the possibility to transfer the Oakmont School Site for another purpose and report to Council by 2019.
Council Motion: Residential Encroachment onto Public Property
The proposed motion was not moved that Administration review residential encroachment onto public property history and propose any policy or bylaw work in 2019.
Council Motion: Policy C-CG-05 – Mayor & Councillor Roles Proposed Amendment
The proposed motion was not moved that Policy C-CG-05 be updated in 2018 whereby Standard 1g includes all members of Council and not solely the Mayor.
Council Motion: Election Policy
The proposed motion was not moved that Administration review the operational, communications and governance processes for municipal election day and propose to Council a Policy in this regard in 2020.
Council Motion: FOIP Policy Review
Council supported that the motion be postponed until Q1 2018.
Council received for information the 2017 Q3 Corporate Report, which is attached to the November 27, 2017 agenda report entitled “Information Items”. This report provides Council with information on the advancement of the City of St. Albert Strategic Plan and the City's Financial position, as of September 30th, 2017. Council went in camera to confidentially hold dialogue with the City Manager, and discuss the bargaining mandate.
- 30 -