For Immediate Release | December 05, 2017
Council Formally Appoints St. Albert Policing Committee Members
First Committee Meeting to be held in January 2018
On December 4, 2017, St. Albert City Council formally appointed nine members of the newly created St. Albert Policing Committee. The Committee consists of the following people:
- Voting members:
- Councillor Sheena Hughes
- Allan Bohachyk – resident
- Craig Cameron – resident
- Dean Kurpjuweit– resident
- LuAnne Sirdiak – resident
- Dion Tarkowski – resident
- Dr. Kristopher Wells– resident
- Advisory Non-Voting members:
- St. Albert RCMP Officer in Charge Pamela Robinson
- City of St. Albert General Manager, Community and Protective Services, Dale Bendfeld (on behalf of the City Manager)
The purpose of the Committee is to maintain a proper balance between the independence and authority of the RCMP, and accountability to the community and civilian authority. This will be done through community input, increased transparency regarding policing operations, removal of political interference perceptions and assistance with dealing with local complaints.
In June 2017, City Council approved the St. Albert Policing Committee Bylaw to officially establish a Policing Committee within St. Albert. The first committee meeting will be held in January 2018.
Visit the St. Albert Policing Committee webpage for more information on its purpose, duties and responsibilities, as well as its operation. Agendas and minutes from each meeting will be posted on the City of St. Albert website.
- 30 -