For Immediate Release / March 21, 2020
Update on the City of St. Albert’s Response to COVID-19
Update for March 21, 2020
The City of St. Albert plans to provide daily (or more frequently if appropriate) updates to the media. For past information, please check the City of St. Albert website for past news releases.
The City of St. Albert is taking a thoughtful and measured approach to help contain the spread of COVID-19 in our community. In an effort to keep residents and visitors informed, below is a summary of some current information to be aware of.
REMINDER: St. Albert Council has called a Special Council Meeting on Monday, March 23, 2020 at 12:00 pm.
The purpose of the meeting is to receive briefings from Administration on matters concerning the COVID-19 virus and the response of the City of St. Albert, and to consider such motions of Council as may be advisable in the circumstances. Potential Administration topics for Council may include:
- Postponement and/or cancellation of all Recreation, Parks and Cultural facilities, programs, services and events until May 31, 2020.
- Deferral or cancellation of Capital Projects in 2020
- Measures to assist utility customers
- Measures to assist taxpayers
- Suspension of Transit fares until May 31, 2020
- Additional funds to support measures related to COVID-19 impacts
Closures to City facilities
- There are no new closures of facilities as of March 21, 2020. However, as a result of the changes to RCMP front counter services, municipal enforcement services (MES) at Maloney Place have been affected.
- The only MES Front Counter service that will still be provided to people through Maloney place will be when someone has to claim property (example: dog). In these cases, the citizen will need to call 780-458-7700 to schedule an appointment.
- Please continue to call 780-458-7700 for MES complaints and calls for service. Should you have a question/inquiry that does not require an officer dispatched, please call the MES Inquiry Line at 780-418-6643 and someone will be able to assist you.
Suspension of City programs or services
- No new cancellations as of March 21, 2020
City services still open/operating
- Unless listed on the facility closures, or listed above, all City services are still available for access by phone, email or online.
Cancellation of City events
- The Rainmaker Parade, originally scheduled for May 23, 2020, has been cancelled.
Please check the City’s website and social media for updates and further information in the coming days. The City thanks its residents and patrons as we work through our response to COVID-19. For more information on COVID-19, please visit the AHS website, a link for which is available on the City website at stalbert.ca/covid19.
- 30 -
Last edited: March 22, 2020