For Immediate Release | April 24, 2019
St. Albert Policing Committee Releases its 2018 Annual Report and 2019 Work Plan
The St. Albert Policing Committee presented its 2018 Annual Report and 2019 Work Plan to City Council at the April 23, 2019 Council Meeting. Dr. Kristopher Wells, Chair of the St. Albert Policing Committee, showcased the work completed during the Committee’s first full year in operation and highlighted their work plan for 2019.
Highlights from the 2018 Annual Report include:
- Working collaboratively with the RCMP Officer in Charge on setting and approving the 2018/2019 Policing Priorities.
- Engaging the public on policing and community safety matters to support the Policing Committee’s mandate, including gathering input for the 2019/2020 Policing Priorities.
- In December 2018, the St. Albert Policing Committee gathered input from residents and business owners to better understand their thoughts on issues related to policing and community safety. The survey report is available on the Policing Committee’s webpage.
Highlights from the 2019 Work Plan include:
- Supporting the development of a new policing committee bylaw, which was passed by Council in April 2019.
- Engaging the public on policing matters to supplement 2020/2021 police priority planning.
- This includes ongoing plans to raise the profile and visibility of the Policing Committee with local citizens, agencies, boards, businesses and diverse communities through attendance at various community events.
The St. Albert Policing Committee was established by St. Albert City Council in 2017 and began operations in January 2018. The overall objective of the Policing Committee is to act as a liaison among City Council, the RCMP Detachment, and City residents to foster responsible community actions towards the creation of a safe and secure community. The Policing Committee also receives and shares information with Municipal Policing Services to accomplish these objectives.
For more information on the St. Albert Policing Committee’s 2018 Annual Report and 2019 Work Plan, visit the City of St. Albert website at stalbert.ca/spc and click on Work Plan and Reports.
- 30 -