Apply for a Business Licence
Requirements for a Licence
All Business Licence applications require:
- A MyCity account
- A valid Visa, MasterCard or American Express credit card
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (or equivalent)
- Proof of membership if your business is regulated by a professional association such as dentists, physiotherapists, lawyers, engineers, etc.
- An operating and/or mailing address for the business
- Contact information for the business and business owner(s)
- A general description of the goods and/or services the business provides.
Depending on the type of licence required by your business, you may need to provide the City with scans/copies of documents including:
If the business will be operating out of a residence where the business owner is not the titled owner of the property.
If the business is a provincially-regulated trade or profession that qualifies for a fee exemption
Any vehicle-for-hire services (taxi and limousine companies, ridesharing, etc.) must submit the following documents for all of their drivers and vehicles.
• Vulnerable Sector Checks
• Class 1, 2 or 4 driver's licences
• Valid commercial registration and insurance
• Mechanical inspection reports for all vehicles
Any business that offers the retail sale of tobacco products must apply for a retail tobacco licence in addition to a regular business licence.
Applying through MyCity
The City offers online business licence applications and account management through its MyCity service. You can start the application process by following the appropriate license type links below (In-Town Business or Out-of-Town Business). Note that you will be asked to create a MyCity account if you don't have one presently, and the application process takes approximately 15-30 minutes to complete.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Business Licensing Department within 2 business days.
- Submission of an application and payment of the licensing fee does not guarantee an approval. Once the application has been reviewed, the applicant will be contacted by the Business Licensing Department.
- Additional permits or approvals may be required from the City before a Business Licence can be issued due to business type or location. Applicants will be contacted by the Business Licensing Department if any further permits/approvals are required
- All issued Business Licences expire on December 31st, and must be renewed for the following calendar year if the business continues operating in St. Albert as of January 1st
- Licensing fees are non-refundable once a Business Licence has been issued, as per Business License Bylaw 43/2000.
Topics in this section
Your business is located in a commercial district or business park within St. Albert...
Your business is located elsewhere but will be providing services within the city...
Last edited: March 12, 2021