Cannabis Retail Stores are required to obtain an approved development permit before an application for a Business Licence can be accepted by the Business Licensing Department. If you have obtained an approved development permit, please submit it along with your Business Licence application on MyCity.
Please note that a Cannabis Retail Store must abide by the following rules listed in the "Restricted Products" section of the Business License Bylaw:
- Cannabis and Cannabis Accessories cannot be sold to minors;
- Cannabis and Cannabis Accessories cannot be displayed in a way that makes them visible from outside the business premises (e.g., windows must be "frosted" or "blacked-out").
The Bylaw also notes that the Inspector can place conditions on the Business License for a Cannabis Retail Store if the store causes a “Public Nuisance” (offensive odours, noise at late hours, etc.); these conditions can either limit the hours of operation of the store or require that all cannabis products on the premises are kept in sealed containers.
2021 Cannabis Retail Store Business Licence Fees:
- $855 (renewals / new applications from January 1st - April 30th)
- $641.25 (new applications from May 1st - August 31st)
- $427.50 (new applications from September 1st - December 31st)
Please contact Business Licensing if you have any questions or concerns.
Last edited: December 10, 2020