Encroachments can be two things:  

  1. Improvements such as, but not limited to, hedges, trees, landscaping features or borders, fencing, retaining walls, or planters made upon public land. 
  2. Personal use of Public Land or other City interests.  

Learn more about encroachments in the Encroachments onto Public Land and other City Interests Policy.  

How are encroachments found? 

Encroachments on City property or Public Land are often found when a private property is being sold during the process of a Compliance Certificate application. Encroachments are also found through Development Permit applications, site visits by City staff and complaints from the public. 

What happens when an encroachment is found? 

If an encroachment is found, property owners may be able to enter into an Encroachment Agreement with the City to allow for the encroachment to remain. There are certain conditions, additional costs and processes associated with being eligible for an Encroachment Agreement

If an encroachment is found on property designated under the Land Use Bylaw as Public Park or is Municipal Reserve land, the City of St. Albert will not enter into an Encroachment Agreement. Using reserve land districted as park for personal use contravenes the Municipal Government Act (MGA). 

In cases where the encroachment poses a risk of injury, is a safety hazard or interferes with utilities or traffic, the property owner may be required to remove the encroachment at their own expense. 

Many property owners are unaware they are encroaching on Public Land. Once identified, property owners are required to work with City staff to resolve any encroachment issues. 

Topics in this section

Related Pages

Last edited: March 29, 2022