What is an Off-Site Levy?
Off-site levies are a tool that a municipality can use to pay for new infrastructure or the expansion of existing infrastructure required because of development. Off-site levies must be authorized by bylaw. Under the current Municipal Government Act (MGA), off-site levies can be collected for:
- New or expanded facilities for the storage, transmission, treatment or supply of water;
- New or expanded facilities for the treatment, movement or disposal of sanitary sewage;
- New or expanded storm sewer drainage facilities;
- New or expanded roads required for or impacted by a subdivision or development; and
- Land required for or in connection with any of the above-described facilities.
Topics in this section
Last edited: February 18, 2022