Erin Ridge Traffic Calming
Thank you to everyone who participated in the public participation opportunities (surveys, open houses) and has provided feedback through the Neighbourhood Traffic Calming evaluation process and Traffic Calming Plan completion.
The Traffic Calming Plans represent an enhancement of traffic and pedestrian safety and are intended to mitigate issues identified from feedback, as well as the City’s traffic data.
Road Closure - Sunday, July 28, 2019. Please be advised that parts of Erin Ridge Drive and Eldorado Dr will be closed to install raised crosswalks as part of the traffic calming program.
Your Neighbourhood – Your Road – Your Voice
The City is moving forward with the implementation of the Traffic Calming Plans. Traffic Calming in Erin Ridge and Erin Ridge North is targeting areas of traffic safety enhancement to address known vehicle speed, intersection safety and pedestrian crossing issues. The plans also align with Safe Journeys to School recommendations and principles near the school locations in both communities.
Due to scope of work and required resources to implement the full Traffic Calming Plan, the work is tentatively scheduled to be implemented in a phased approach with measures prioritized around:
- adjacent land use (school/playground zones),
- recorded vehicle speeds,
- reported collision history and,
- resident input.
Construction began in 2018, with the program involving installation of both permanent measures and temporary measures. The temporary measures mimic the potential design of permanent features and are intended to be phased to permanent features through completion of future construction.
Not all locations planned for the 2018 program were completed; an update of the planned and actual final work is provided below. Locations not completed in 2018 will be priority for completion in 2019, with additional work scheduled.
In addition to the measures identified in the table and the map:
- Erin Ridge and Erin Ridge North are proposed to have a reduced neighbourhood speed limit of 40 km/hr. This will mean that unless otherwise posted for a playground or school zone (which is 30 km/hr), the speed limit on any roadway in Erin Ridge or Erin Ridge North will be 40 km/hr.
- Update: The reduced Neighbourhood speeds were approved by City Council and have been posted throughout the neighbourhood as of March 2019.
- Closure of access to Eastgate Way from Coalmine Road/Range Road 253. The objective is to eliminate short-cutting through Eastgate Way and Edgewater Terrace North. Residents in this area identified concerns of vehicle volumes and speed largely influenced by non-residential traffic.
- Update: The closure was approved by City Council and as of March 2019 the closure of the access to Eastgate Way from Coal Mine Road is in effect.
Further public participation will occur to evaluate measures following construction. Information may be used to validate further installations or provide recommendations for changes or removal of measures.
Erin Ridge and Erin Ridge North are the first neighbourhoods to be reviewed for traffic calming under the City’s new Traffic Calming Policy and its aligned Process and Guidelines. This program provides residents with a consistent approach on how neighbourhood traffic safety concerns are answered, reviewed, evaluated and implemented by the City.
For Further Information:
City of St. Albert
Last edited: July 19, 2019