Network Speed Review
In 2019, the City of St. Albert conducted a city-wide Transportation Network Speed Review. The results of the review and internal department engagement resulted in recommendations to change certain posted speed limits in St. Albert.
The following are the proposed changes:
- Reduce neighbourhood speeds (on Collector and Local Roads) from 50 km/h to 40 km/h
- Change current Elementary and Jr. High School Zones to Playground Zones
- Establish a time of day for Playground Zones as 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Remove 3 existing Playground Zones (where no equipment exists) in conjunction with implementation of reduced neighbourhood speeds:
- Attwood Park (Attwood Drive)
- Forest Park (Forest Drive)
- Deerbourne Park (Deerbourne Drive
- Increase Arterial Roadway speeds at the following sites from 50-60 km/h:
- Sir Winston Churchill Avenue - Reil Drive to Levassuer Road
- Bellerose Drive – Evergreen Drive to north City limit
- Sir Winston Churchill Avenue – Poirier Avenue to north City limit
- Sturgeon Road – Boudreau Road to Beacon Crescent (S)
- Dawson Road - Giroux Road to McKenney Avenue
- Increase the roadway speed from 60 km/h to 70 km/h on Meadowview Drive - West of Ray Gibbon Drive
- Remove segments of existing 30 km/h zones (various sites)
Please Note: Prior to any implementation of increased speeds, it is recommended that pedestrian crossing improvements (warning flasher installations) are completed.
The City will be conducting public and stakeholder engagement in the next several months to seek input on the recommendations. Further information will be provided when a third-party contractor is secured. Following the completion of the public engagement, Council will recieve a presentation for final recommendations to maintain the current Traffic Bylaw or make the recommended amendments.
Public Engagement: April - June 2020
City Council & Committee Presentation - June - July 2020
Last edited: March 5, 2020