The City is implementing a one year pilot project for backyard hens. The goal is to provide selected residents with the opportunity to participate and learn from this pilot. Selected households must be committed to the requirements of the pilot program. The City will be using the outcomes of the resident involvement, data, and other findings to determine the future of hens in St. Albert.
Twenty households will be selected to participate in this project, with every neighbourhood represented. List of Selected Households per Area.
There is a two-part application process.
Application forms are available online (below) or at the City of St. Albert, Planning Branch, Second Floor, 5 St. Anne Street.
Residents interested in participating in the Backyard Hen Pilot Project must complete and submit the following:
- Participant Selection & Agreement Application Form – Must submit.
- Owner Authorization Form for Renters – Fill out and submit if you are not the property owner
- 60-metre radius map - Contact the City of St. Albert Planning Branch at 780-418-6618 during office hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a map that will identify the neighbours you need to contact. Must submit the map.
- Neighbour Consent Form - Neighbours identified on the 60-metre radius map must complete the Neighbour Consent Form. Must submit all forms from neighbours.
- Please use the Neighbour Notification Letter.
Please read and understand the Regulations for Keeping Backyard Hens.
Applications will be reviewed by the City to determine completeness of the application, if there are issues with your property, or any unpaid matters with the City.
All completed forms must be submitted as one package by March 6, 2017 to be considered in the selection process.
Mail or drop off your forms:
Tracy Tsui (Planner) or Lenore Mitchell (Senior Planner)
City of St. Albert
Planning Branch, Second Floor
5 St. Anne Street
St. Albert, AB T8N 3Z9
Fax: 780-458-1974 (Attention: Tracy Tsui and Lenore Mitchell)
- Completed eligible applications, as determined by Administration, will be entered into a lottery to be held on March 23, 2017 at 5:30 p.m., in St. Albert Place, Douglas Cardinal Boardroom, Third Floor. Residents, who have submitted applications, as well as family and friends are invited to attend the lottery to see if they have been selected. You do not have to be present to win.
- If your household is one of the 20 selected for the pilot, you will receive further information on items that need to be completed, including a hen keeping course and a site plan showing size and placement of hen coop.
Complete details will be provided to those selected after the lottery. Please note: there will be costs associated with this pilot project. Please see the Regulations for Keeping Backyard Hens for details.
|February 2017||Applications open|
|March 2017||Completed application due March 6, 2017. City reviews applications, holds lottery to select participants, and selected households are advised they are part of the pilot project|
|April 2017||Selected participants complete course, obtain coop, fulfill requirements|
|May/June 2017||Pilot project begins|
|August 2017||City Inspection #1|
|October 2017||Mid-term gathering with participants and public to discuss findings of pilot project to date|
|December 2017||City Inspection #2|
|April 2018||City Inspection #3|
|May/June 2018||Pilot project is completed|
|June/July 2018||Public Open House to discuss findings of the pilot project|
|August/September 2018||Administration prepares report and presents to Council|
For More Information:
Tracy Tsui or Lenore Mitchell
City of St. Albert
Last edited: February 16, 2017