Millennium Park Concept
Concept Reveal Open House
The City and Dialog Design hosted a Public Open House June 19, 2018, to reveal the final Millennium Park Concept.
Millennium Park is a public space approximately 3.50 ha (8.64 acres) in an area located adjacent to the St. Anne roundabout and St. Anne Promenade.
The City of St. Albert is currently wrapping up the Millennium Park Phase I – Placemaking Design Concept project. The overall objective of the project is to create a placemaking concept for a vibrant, cost-effective, people-oriented public place that will become a focal point and cornerstone of a revitalized downtown. Detailed design and construction will come later, as part of Phase II (a separate project).
Creative Placemaking is about working with the community to create lively new public spaces that infuse neighbourhoods with a new sense of vibrancy. Once constructed, Millennium Park will play a critical placemaking role in downtown by establishing a multi-use and programmable public space linking the existing Lions Park with St. Albert Place and Red Willow Park. It will be the heart of the Downtown and will support all-seasons activities and events.
This project included a comprehensive external consultation strategy to engage future and current users of the park throughout the design process. The final concept has been refined based on stakeholder feedback, and a core needs assessment completed for the park and buildings.
PART ONE – PROJECT INFORMATION – SUMMER 2016
- Pop-up public engagement events were held at the BAM Slip n’ Slide event and the St. Albert Farmers’ Market
- Site analysis and background research completed
PART TWO – PLACEMAKING INSPIRATION – summer 2016
- Pop-up engagement events held at Art Walk and Rock’n August
- First community stakeholder design workshop
- Park vision developed
PART THREE – BIG MOVES + BOLD STROKES – fall 2016
- The public provided feedback during pop-up engagement events at the Heritage Park Food Trucks, St. Albert Farmers’ Market, and St. Anne Promenade Opening
- Second community stakeholder design workshop
- Internal stakeholder design workshop
- Park principles developed
- Public lecture with Dialog Design and Cynthia Nikitin of Project for Public Spaces
PART FOUR – CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT - 2017
- Three concept ideas were presented to the public during a community concept review workshop
- Comments received from the public and internal stakeholders
- Facility Needs Assessment completed by Administration to inform building feasibility
- Final park concept developed and refined with feedback from the public and internal administrative stakeholders
The consulting team will incorporate comments from the public and Council into the final Millennium Park Placemaking Design Concept Report.
If you would like to be involved in the Millennium Park Project, please send an e-mail with your contact information to:
Planner, Planning and Development
Last edited: October 3, 2018