Smart City Master Plan
|Updated Version||Original Version|
In 2016, St. Albert developed its first Smart City Master Plan with the goal to be forward-looking, progressive and resource efficient. Since that time, many of the individual strategies of Smart City Master Plan 1.0 have been accomplished or have evolved.
Smart City Update 2.0 is the next step in St. Albert’s progression and will serve as a progress report from the steps taken starting in 2016, to where we are today, to where we want to be in the future.
The new plan takes into consideration existing municipal planning and strategy documents such as the Community Vision and Pillars of Sustainability. There is also strong alignment with the Municipal Development Plan (MDP) that is currently under development and will shape how the city grows and develops to a population of 100,000. This alignment will ensure that all Smart City progress contributes to larger community goals.
Smart City Update 2.0:
- The new plan focuses on the efficient delivery of municipal services, with an additional emphasis on economic development and how technologies are vital to the local and wider economy.
- Regional partnerships are important, recognizing that St. Albert is part of the larger Edmonton Metropolitan Region and is within a province that has experienced challenges to its traditional petrochemical-based economy.
- St. Albert recognizes that to be successful, all members of the community need to be considered, including the Indigenous community.
- Data governance, privacy and security are fundamental requirements for all Smart City initiatives. As civic technologies increase their presence in the lives of residents, the City must ensure appropriate and secure use.
- This plan reflects the idea that technology can be a catalyst for positive change in the lives and work of residents and City staff.
- Projects from Smart City 1.0 are also outlined in the plan and are identified as either completed or underway.
Goals and objectives are built around 12 categories:
|1. Education||2. Housing Variety|
|3. Robust Economy||4. Government Services|
|5. Smart Infrastructure||6. Green Environment|
|7. Community Well-being||8. Mobility Choices|
|9. Vibrant Downtown||10. Great Places|
|11. Waste Management||12. Cultural Richness|
Detailed opportunities for advancements have also been identified that will create progress towards our goals and are segmented into two timeframes: 1) By 2021, and 2) Beyond 2021.
Topics in this section
Last edited: December 6, 2019