Métis Week Ceremony
Friday, November 15, 2019
1:30pm - 3:00pm
St. Albert Place - 5 St. Anne Street
Residents are invited to join members of the Métis community for the official start of Métis Week in St. Albert.
The event will include the following:
- Flag raising ceremony will be held on the Plaza in front of St. Albert Place
- A proclamation will be read in the foyer outside the entrance to the Musée Heritage Museum inside St. Albert Place
- Songs from local students
- Greetings from local dignitaries
- Overview of the contributions Métis Peoples have made to St. Albert
- Refreshments and bannock!
Métis Week is an opportunity for the Métis in Alberta to share their stories, history and culture with the rest of the world. The Métis of St. Albert had long lived along the Sturgeon River, an important trading route. The first established settlement in 1861 included nearly 700 Métis men, women and children. Generations later, many of these founding Métis families live in and around St. Albert today. We welcome everyone to join us to commemorate and celebrate the life of Louis Riel, Métis history, and Métis contributions to Canada.