Random Acts of Kindness: Butterfly Bombing
Welcome to Day 13!
Today we are partnering again with the City of St. Albert's Neighbourhood Connectors to motivate a wave of kindness to roll across our community in an activity we are calling ‘butterfly bombing!’
- Paper, fabric, or any craft supplies you have on hand you can make a butterfly out of.
- Crayons, felt pens or pencil crayons.
- Ribbon or string (optional).
- Painter’s tape, sticky tack or a magnet (optional).
- Choose someone you want to surprise with some kindness.
- Using whatever supplies you have on hand, create or decorate a butterfly by writing messages of hope on the wings. Here is a butterfly template you can print and decorate. Feel free to write about how much you care about your intended recipient and why you’re thinking of them. Remember to colour around your message, so the butterfly is bright and fun!
- Sneak over to your intended recipients house and affix the butterfly to their door using painter’s tape, sticky tack or a small magnet on the back of the butterfly. If you don’t have any of those items, you can simply stick your butterfly in the mailbox.
- Ring the doorbell and race back to the sidewalk or car, making sure you keep a safe distance and follow all provincial public health measures. Watch and wave as they discover your kind message.
- Congrats! You’ve brightened someone’s day with butterflies!
For extra fun, leave an additional message on the butterfly, encouraging recipients to ‘pass it on.’ You can also film their reaction and share it online with their permission. Just use the hashtag #40DaysofPLAY to spread the joy and to be entered to win a prize from one of our Festival partners.
The City of St. Albert has worked with content developers to provide creative prompts that align with provincial public health measures, and guidance to protect the health system and the community by slowing the spread of COVID-19.
Don’t forget to take a picture of your participation in today’s activity and share it with us online! Use the hashtag #40DaysofPLAY to be entered to win a prize from one of our Festival partners.
Neighbourhood Connectors are a group of like-minded St. Albert residents who care about their neighbourhoods and make efforts to bring neighbours together. Meeting monthly, this group shares stories, ideas, and resources in order to foster a sense of belonging, improve personal safety, provide mental and emotional support and help children and youth thrive, both on their street and in the larger community as a whole. To learn more, please visit the Neighbourhood Connectors website.
Follow all provincial public health measures when participating in 40 Days of Play activities.
Last edited: May 10, 2021