Kollide - 35,000 Butterfly Project
And celebrate 35 years of community arts collaboration
Let your inner artist fly and create your very own one-of-a-kind butterfly that will be included in a visual arts display celebrating the 35th International Children’s Festival of the Arts.
Starting now, we want you to join in the celebration with artists, Corey Lansdell and Kelly Mellings to KOLLIDE with art and help us transform St. Albert Place into a kaleidoscope of 35,000 butterflies. The art display will begin May 31, 2016 and continue to grow with your butterflies until June 4, 2016.
Let’s Get Creating
Arts and cultural experiences are transformative! Show us through your butterfly creation how the Festival has inspired you over the years. Did you come as a kid and adult, parent or teacher – are you a volunteer, artist or sponsor...
- Together we will transform St. Albert Place into a kaleidoscope of orange, teal, mauve and yellow. We would love it if you could use some or all of these colours in your butterfly!
- Keep your butterflies between 4” and 12” in wingspan.
- Use whatever materials you wish.
- Indoor butterflies should be lightweight and portable.
- Outdoor butterflies should be able to withstand the elements and be waterproof.
- Create as many butterflies as you like (Please note: We will NOT be able to facilitate the return of any created butterflies to their owners).
Together we will transform St. Albert Place into a kaleidoscope of butterfly splendour!
Here are some inspiring ideas if you are stuck in a creative rut:
Origami Butterfly Folding Instructions
Drop off your butterflies to the Community Services office (5 St. Anne Street, St. Albert Place) before the Festival begins, or at the VASA Kollide Tent during the Festival.
For more information, call 780-459-1600.