Skip to content ›
City of St.Albert
Residential Schools Header Image

Residential Schools

School: St. Albert Youville

Location: St. Albert, AB
Operating Dates: 1873 - 1948

The St. Albert Youville residential school grew out of a Roman Catholic mission school that had originally been established for Métis children at the Lac Ste. Anne Mission in 1859. Four years later the mission was relocated to St. Albert. Over the years a large number of Métis children attended the school. In many cases, the provincial department of welfare funded their attendance. In 1938, space in a convent associated with the school was converted into a special unit for the care of children at risk of tuberculosis. When the provincial government declined to guarantee funding for the school, the missionaries in charge of its operation chose to end its operation.

School: Edmonton Poundmaker

Location: St. Albert, AB
Operating Dates: 1924 – 1968

The Methodist Church closed its industrial school in Red Deer in 1919 and reopened it five years later in Edmonton, Alberta. By 1930 the school had over 200 residents. During the 1950s students from the Northwest Territories and the Yukon attended the school, while during the 1960s most of the students were from United Church schools in British Columbia who came to Alberta to attend high school. The federal government took over the administration of the school in 1967 and closed it the following year. The school later became the home of the Poundmaker Lodge rehabilitation centre.

Source: National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation

Last edited: August 7, 2019

Return to the top ↑