Green Organics Cart
The City of St. Albert provides all households and a small number of multi-family homes and condo complexes with a Green Organics Cart for use in the curbside program. Residents can utilize the carts to dispose of organic material such as grass and food waste, to be converted into compost.
There is no cost difference between the Medium (120 L) and the Large (240 L) Green Organics Cart. Options are provided to meet varying household needs with food scraps and leaf and yard waste.
Frequency of Collection
Your Green Organics Cart is collected on your household's designated waste collection day:
- Every week from April to the end of October
- Every two weeks from November to the end of March
Please refer to the Collection Schedule for specific details.
Tips for Collection
- Please do not place any non-compostable material (such as plastic bags or metal) in the Green Organics Cart as it degrades the quality of compost and could even result in rejected collection.
- Please place the Green Organics Cart a minimum of one metre (three feet) away from any obstacles, in order to ensure safe collection. Generally, an arms-length is good distance marker.
- Do not pack material into the Green Organics Cart, as it can become stuck. Remember that in changing temperatures or with condensation you will need to make sure the material in your cart is loose prior to pick-up. Please shake it really well or put a shovel down the side to loosen the material.
Do you need a food scraps container for your Green Organics Cart? Visit the Public Works - Jack Kraft Facility (7 Chevigny Street) during office hours to pick up a container. Limit of one per household. For St. Albert residents only. Photo ID may be requested.
Create a newspaper liner for your food scraps container. Once the liner is full, empty it into your Green Organics Cart. See the Organics Origami - Paper Liner instructions to learn how you can make your own liners.
- Compostable bags are not required for collection; however, if you do use them please ensure the packing contains a certified compostable logo. Please see the pictures below.
What Goes in the Green Organics Cart?
|Bread and baked goods||Clothes and Textiles|
|Coffee grounds and filters||Disposable drink cups|
|Cooled and solidified grease||Electronics|
|Eggs and egg shells||Hazardous materials|
|Facial tissue||Plastic bags, wrap or wrappers|
|Flour, grains and dough|
|Fruit and vegetables and peelings|
|Leaf and yard waste (such as branches, flowers, plants, etc.)|
|Meat products and bones|
|Pasta and rice|
|Pumpkins and jack o'-lanterns|
|Soiled (such as pizza boxes) and shredded paper|
Last edited: January 4, 2018