The city has offered rain barrels at cost to residents since 2006. The 2017 Rain Barrel Event, in partnership with L.B.H Building Centre will be held on May 6. The first come, first serve event will sell 450 rain barrels to St. Albert residents for $50 each.
2017 Rain Barrel Event
Saturday, May 6
Starting at 8 am, while supplies last
L.B.H. Building Centre
11 Riel Drive, St. Albert
Rain Barrel Features
The 208 litre (55 gallons) rain barrels have a unique shape and are a neutral colour that will blend into any gardenscape. They are constructed with up to 50 percent recycled materials, include a spigot, mosquito mesh, lid and overflow hose that can be linked to another barrel.
For more information on other water conservation tips please visit our Outdoor Water Saving Tips page.
Adding one tablespoon of olive oil or dish soap to the water in your rain barrel (every six to nine days) will prevent mosquitoes from breeding in your rain barrel.
Use a Rain Barrel
Save water, Save money: Catch water from your roof!
What is a Rain Barrel?
- A container to catch rainwater flowing from your downspouts.
- Using collected water is an easy and economical way to maintain a healthy lawn and garden.
Why use a Rain Barrel?
- The water is free, which saves you money on your monthly water bill.
- It decreases the amount of drinkable, treated water used for outdoor watering.
- Reduces the demand on water treatment facilities.
- Rainwater is soft and non-chlorinated, which can stimulate plant growth and make soil healthier.
- It's an easy way to conserve water, one of our most precious resources, and protect the environment.
Setting up your Rain Barrel
- For instructions on setting up your rain barrel and easy to follow diagrams refer to the City's Rain Barrel Brochure
Maintaining Your Rain Barrel
- Clean debris from the lid screen regularly.
- In the fall, prepare your barrel for winter storage in a few easy steps. Drain water,remove spigot, turn it upside down and cover the barrel.
- In the winter, move your downspout so it faces away from buildings and foundation walls.
Rain Barrel Safety Tips
- Keep lid on the barrel at all times to keep out insects, pets and wildlife.
- Ensure children restrain from playing on or inside the barrel.
Last edited: February 9, 2017