Cart Placement and Care
The City of St. Albert provides Brown Garbage Carts and Green Organics Carts to all eligible households in St. Albert. Residents are responsible for the general upkeep of the carts; however, City staff will assist residents if maintenance or repairs are needed.
|Carts are assigned to each house by a serial number. Record your cart's serial number (located on the side of the cart) to avoid confusing the carts with your neighbours.|
|Please do not write, spray paint or permanent mark the carts. Households who damage the carts in this way may be required to reimburse the City for replacement carts.|
|Report any necessary maintenance to City of St. Albert staff. To request a change in size, repair or replacement, please contact the City of St. Albert’s Utilities Services at 780-459-1520, Option 2, or complete the online request form at Change, Repair or Replace Carts.|
Cleaning Your Cart Tips
The following tips will help you reduce odours and pests:
- Store your carts in shaded or covered areas
- Sprinkle a small amount of baking soda, powdered lime or bleach-free laundry detergent at the bottom of the cart
- Alternate between wet (food waste) and dry (leaf and yard waste) organic materials to layer your Green Organics Cart
- Wrap wet or smelly materials in paper bags, paper towel or newspapers
- Use compostable bags to line your food scraps container, before placing materials into the Green Organics Cart
- Clean out your refrigerator or freezer right before your waste collection day
- Keep the lid of your cart closed at all times
- Set your cart out on your waste collection day, even if it is not full
- Put essential oils like citronella and tea tree oil on your cart lids as they are natural insect repellents
- Regularly wash out your cart
Cart Set Out Tips
To ensure the safe and efficient collection from the Brown Garbage Carts and Green Organics Carts, please avoid the following:
|Please do not overfill the carts. The lid on the carts should fully close.|
|Please do not put unacceptable materials inside the carts. Unacceptable materials increase program costs, may be dangerous for collection, and lower the quality of the compost in the Green Organics Carts.|
|Please do not pack or cram material into the carts. This may cause the material to become stuck.|
|Please do not leave material outside of carts, such as garbage bags or large organic material. These items will not be collected.|
Cart Placement FAQ's
Where do I place my carts and Blue Recycling Bags on collection day?
Your Brown Garbage Cart and Green Organics Cart must be placed on the street next to your driveway by 7:00 a.m. on your waste collection day.
The carts need to be one (1) metre (three feet) apart, with the wheels against the curb and the arrows facing forward, away from your house. Your Blue Recycling Bags must be placed on the curbside, not directly behind your carts. They should also be 1 m away from your carts.
Where can I park on the street on waste collection days?
As long as your vehicle is one (1) metre (three feet) from the carts and not obstructing them, street parking will not be affected by collection.
Where do I put my carts in the winter?
During the winter, the carts will still need to be placed on the street on waste collection days. Winter pick-ups only present a problem on days when snow clearing equipment will be present in your area. If your street is being cleared of snow on your waste collection day, you must place your carts in the corner of your driveway, as in the diagram below.
Please refer to the snow clearing ads in the Citylights section of the Gazette or visit the Snow Removal page for information on snow clearing in your area.
I live in a cul-de-sac, where do I need to place my carts?
If you live in a cul-de-sac or crescent, please ensure that you are parked further than one (1) metre (three feet) from the carts on either side of you.
Last edited: December 13, 2019